OpenZFS on OS X
OpenZFS on OS X brings OpenZFS features to Apple's OS X.
The installer release of OpenZFS on OS X is ready for use by people who are willing to learn to administer ZFS from the Terminal, or who already know how to do so. It's compatible with OS X 10.8 through macOS 10.12.
Support and documentation
Documentation is available on
Support is available on
- #openzfs-osx IRC channel irc://chat.freenode.net/#openzfs-osx
To use the official release
To begin testing the most recent build
Follow the instructions for installing from source.
Suggested focus areas for testers
- Identifying integration issues with OS X.
- Finding incompatibilities with 3rd party software.
- Stress testing.
- Security auditing.
Please remember that ZFS alone is not a substitute for a good backup strategy.
If you have ZEVO or MacZFS installed
- you must uninstall that software and reboot before installing O3X (scripts for doing so are included with the O3X release download).
- you must uninstall O3X if you choose to revert to ZEVO or MacZFS - an uninstaller script for O3X is also included with the release download.