Mojave 10.14 + OpenZFS 1.9.2 = Issue with Icons

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Mojave 10.14 + OpenZFS 1.9.2 = Issue with Icons

Postby lundman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Oh yes, we were looking at this problem. So Catalina highlighted an issue with the zfs.fs/ matching, which perhaps could be related. I did a mojave build with that fixed, could you try this out?
Attachments
out-1014-signed.pkg
OpenZFS-1.9.2-Mojave-Special
(8.99 MiB) Downloaded 545 times
lundman

Postby Double K » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks lundman

Installed the update, but still having an issue.

Slightly different experience - when I double click the dataset icon on the desktop, it's now creating a duplicate icon of the dataset on the desktop (with a slide motion of the icon) - and still shows a nested dataset, and creates a .VolumeIcon.icns.

Should I do an uninstall first? If so, which one?
Double K

Postby lundman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:21 pm

The only thing that comes into play is zfs.fs/ bundle, there should be only one in /Library/Filesystems, and none in /System/Library/Filesystems.

We can fool the ZFS .VolumeIcons code into not running, pick one of your top mounts that has the icon problem, and do something like:

Code: Select all
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/tank/
bash-3.2# ls -la
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  239735 Sep  6 11:11 .VolumeIcon.icns
bash-3.2# rm .VolumeIcon.icns
bash-3.2# mkdir .VolumeIcon.icns
bash-3.2# cd
bash-3.2# zfs umount tank
bash-3.2# zfs mount tank

If it still occurs we can at least rule out the code that copies our icon into place.
lundman

Postby Double K » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:35 am

Confirmed only one in /Library/Filesystems, and none in /System/Library/Filesystems

Executed the steps in the POOL-6x10TB-b/Music child dataset - success! (and the icon has changed to the Apple default)
Now, if I open Music, no duplicates, and no .VolumeIcon.icns on the desktop.

Went one step further & changed the .VolumeIcon.icns in the POOL-6x10TB-b parent, which changed the experience.
If I now open one of the other child datasets (ie. "Other"), I get the icon creation / slide motion of a second matching icon, however if I open either one of the instances, .VolumeIcon.icns does not show up on the desktop (it keeps both instances - ie. nested where one is a sub of the other).
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 7.20.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 7.20.23 AM.png (336.79 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
Double K

Postby e8wwv » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Same issue under High Sierra...I also get duplicate volume aliases, and hidden folders appearing as desktop shortcuts. No significant speed improvement noted.
Edit: Network volumes also have duplicate aliases now. Exporting the pools left the icons and aliases on the desktop. In order to downgrade I had to delete the kexts as they would not unload.
Code: Select all
Unloading zfs.kext
(kernel) Can't unload kext net.lundman.zfs; classes have instances:
(kernel)     Kext net.lundman.zfs class ZFSDataset has 3 instances.
Failed to unload net.lundman.zfs - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).
zfs.kext failed to unload with error code 3

Downgraded to 1.8.2 and issue appears to have gone away.

Notes: I have moved most of my pools to ubuntu zfs and it works extremely well, with no speed drop compared to hfs, doesn't get bogged down by torrents. No recordsize tweaking required. No other tuning required. I have to use SSD's + o3x to get the same performance as spinning disk under ubuntu zfs. My advice to others is to keep as little as possible under open zfs on os x, on ssds.
e8wwv

Postby lundman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

So it does sound then like the Icon copy code is broken? If the fix makes it better... I wonder if it gets something messed up and copies it to the wrong place - would imply there are .VolumeIcon.icns littered about.

I will comment out the code for now, until I can replicate it locally to figure out what goes wrong.
lundman

Postby Double K » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 am

It does sound like it. Strange that it's only on the new pool. Could it be related to one of the feature flags that is enabled on the new pool but disabled on the old pool?
Double K

Postby lundman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

I've been unable to replicate this, no matter what I try the icons behave. I wonder if it depends on something else for it to trigger, like
external drive or something.

I'd like to fix it, obvs, but I might just have to cut the code out if we can't find a way for me to trigger it here,
or someone who can dev to go through the steps to debug it locally.
lundman

Postby lundman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:48 am

Aha, ok, I think I know the issue here. Seems Apple reserve the first 16 IDs for entries in a mount. For example 1 is parent, 2 is the mount-root directory etc.

If you managed to create a file/dir really early, so it gets IDs < 16 - and unfortunately we create .Trashes *really* early so it is almost guaranteed to be < 16 - Finder has a bunch of random things happen.
lundman

Postby lundman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 pm

I've committed fix for the ID issues, which I hope will fix the icon problem. I also had success getting spotlight to work without mimic which was encouraging, so those
that can build from sources could check it out. If people want a pkg to test let me know.
lundman

Previous

Return to General Help