Finder window positions and view options not preserved

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Finder window positions and view options not preserved

Postby haer22 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am

It should be fast in all cases when the blocks are read or written. When you empty the thrash, only the directory entries are read/written so the difference should be negligible in that case.
nodarkthings wrote:Out of curiosity: when you say "faster", is it in all uses or only in send/receive, for example, or specific actions?
I've noticed that when emptying the trash it could be very slow with default, would this be improved? — I don't think it has anything to do with checksum, but who knows...
haer22

Postby nodarkthings » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 pm

About the initial issue of this thread: I've never been able to work it out... :(
com.apple.browse is set to on
com.apple.mimic_hfs is set to on
I couldn't find anything else to try and resolve it.
The .DS_Store files are still not created on any of my pools/datasets — though Spotlight works and the other typical invisible files are created and working ok (.DocumentRevisions-V100, .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100, .TemporaryItems and .Trashes)
Any idea, anyone?
nodarkthings

Postby sean » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:32 am

It's a long shot, but you might want to try toggling the global preference:

Code: Select all
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
reboot
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores false
reboot
sean

Postby nodarkthings » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks! Interesting. I was beginning to think that it's a known (except to me :mrgreen: ) lack of ZFS...
I'll try your suggestion.
nodarkthings

Postby nodarkthings » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Unfortunately, your suggestion non only didn't work with pools and datasets but my .DS_Store files are not created anywhere any more now... :shock:
It gave me the occasion to dig a little more the Internet about that issue, just to find that it happens to other people, presumably not using ZFS, and from Yosemite to Mojave.
So I think we can consider it a bug in MacOS, as some other people say, not related to ZFS.

EDIT: while I was writing this post, it started to work again on my HFS volumes! Looking at the Console, it's full of quicklookd and QuickLookSatellite errors... Well, we can at least say that this MacOS thing is not reliable at all. :cry:
nodarkthings

Postby leeb » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:10 am

Latest O3X, .DS_Store files continue to not work, they're simply never updated (last modification date is the same day I switched to O3X over a year ago). Just so everyone knows, they worked perfectly with ZEVO (granted under 10.8) which I ran for nearly 7 years before O3X. I don't know if it's a macOS issue, ZFS issue, or some Mac specific compatibility shim ZEVO had. It's definitely a bummer though to not have any icon positions or the preserved between reboots.
leeb

Postby nodarkthings » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:49 am

I've just noticed it now happens to my /Applications folder too — that is on an HFS+ boot drive...
Whatever the reason, it's very likely that it's something that appeared in the Finder itself at some point in MacOS history and that we noticed only because we're focused on ZFS behaviour. ;)
nodarkthings

Previous

Return to General Help