Looking for testers of 1.8.1

Developer discussions.

Re: Looking for testers of 1.8.1

Postby lundman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Do you know what triggers it ? Can you also confirm you have /Library/Filesystems/zfs.fs/ installed? It is involved with the probing.
lundman

Postby RJVB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 am

Let me clarify that I *can* unmount pools fully, just never with a single command.

Doesn't zfs.fs do more than just probing, can you even mount/read/write ZFS pools without it?

BTW, is there a magic command to get the zconfig and invariantdisk services to start automatically after a reboot, when you install from source? I find I always have to load their plists manually, and just realise that maybe just `sudo launchctl` keeps bits of my own environment:

```
> sudo launchctl load -w -F <zconfig.plist>
> sudo launchctl load -w -F <InvariantDisk.plist>
# now zpool import will find that pool on my external:
> zpool import
# now the kexts are loaded so we can set the settings I want
> sudo zsysctl -f <theSettings.conf>
```

About that last bit: it'd be nice to fix the race condition where you first need to load the kexts with their default settings before zsysctl can jump in to change those (and somehow zconfigd doesn't do its job here). Can't kexts load initial settings when they're being loaded?

Finally: I had a first KP yesterday that was clearly caused by ZFS and the use of an encrypted dataset. I have the backtrace, will need to create a report, but here's an outline of the events
- I'd had to do a powercycle about a week ago when the machine wouldn't wake after suspending it with my pool mounted (normally I export it so I can shut off the external and the Thunderbolt dock to which it's attached)
- I did something unrelated and stupid yesterday that required another powercycle, again with the pool mounted but AFAICT not in use
- The encrypted dataset holds a "private" Firefox profile and when I tried to use that after the reboot Firefox hung, couldn't be killed, so that was another unclean reboot.
- Rince repeat to confirm.
- On the 2nd or 3rd retry to confirm that everything worked except that private dataset I tried to `cp -prd` the entire dataset to a regular HFS+ volume. This is where I got the KP
- After reboot I logged in using `>console` and saw a ZFS error message (which I also saved) when mounting the private dataset.
- Copying the contents to elsewhere worked this time (I guess I should have mounted RO to be safe(r) but didn't)
- Destroyed and recreated the dataset and now all is fine again.
RJVB

Postby chrryd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 am

BTW, is there a magic command to get the zconfig and invariantdisk services to start automatically after a reboot, when you install from source?

Do you also need to
Code: Select all
sudo launchctl enable
the two plists ?
chrryd

Postby RJVB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:25 am

I don't have that option, but used the -w argument.

I've now tried to go through `sudo -H -i` to get as close as possible to an actual root login. I couldn't unload the plists from there, which suggest that they were indeed somehow loaded into my user launchd context (but running with root privs). That would explain why they weren't loaded on reboot; we'll see the next time (hopefully not within a month :))
RJVB

Postby RJVB » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:48 am

FunMiles wrote:I'm having the same problem as RJVB, being unable to unmount a pool fully. Is there any fix for that?

I upgraded to master/head yesterday (ZFS; didn't see any new commits in SPL) and that made the problem worse. `zfs unmount -a` now also fails so I had to write this hack to export pools with a single command:

Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/env bash

RES=`zpool export "$@" 2>&1`
while [ $? != 0 ] ;do
        if [[ "$RES" != *"no such pool"* ]] ;then
                echo $RES
                RES=`zpool export "$@" 2>&1`
        fi
done
echo $RES

(The echo functionality needs reworking)
RJVB

Postby lundman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm

If you run the log command
"script -q /dev/null log stream --source --predicate 'senderImagePath CONTAINS "zfs" OR senderImagePath CONTAINS "spl"' | cut -c 80- "

Do you get any messages when unmount fails? In particular, could it be https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs/issues/683
lundman

Postby RJVB » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 am

Is that command complete/correct? I'm getting an error message about "log, no such file or command".

However, I'm not seeing any messages as shown on the ticket in my system.log .
RJVB

Postby lundman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Ah oops, yes system log will do if you are a few OSX versions behind.

Guess it might not be related then
lundman

Postby RJVB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 am

Or it is but no messages are logged because assertions aren't enabled in my build (not that I do anything specific to disable them...)?
RJVB

Postby lundman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Hmm yes true - --enable-debug is needed in SPL for ASSERTs to kick in.
lundman

PreviousNext

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development