How can I handle the mounting delay at startup?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

How can I handle the mounting delay at startup?

Postby mauricev » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

I have the data for DropBox, Photos and iTunes all on a ZFS pool attached via Thunderbolt on my Mac Pro now running Mojave. At startup, the pool takes time, sometimes a lot of time to appear. DropBox, in particular, is a problem. The others are if they had been loaded and the Mac tries to relaunch them at startup automatically. Is there a way to get the pool mounted before these apps and services start up?
mauricev

Re: How can I handle the mounting delay at startup?

Postby tangles » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Dont configure DP to launch at startup.
Create an Applescrpit to check for mount-exist first, then launch DP within the script.

As for other apps, dont have the checkbox checked in the restart-shutdown dialog box and youll have no probs.
If you do want apps to load up at startup, just add them in to your applescript as well.

cheers
tangles

Re: How can I handle the mounting delay at startup?

Postby leeb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 am

Depends on how often you reboot and what your system is like. In my case for example I only restart once every few weeks/months. Plus I have my whole home folder for my main user on an encrypted ZFS and use overlay mounting, which doesn't work with automount reliably anyway. So I just brute force it by disabling auto-login (even with FileVault active), logging into a minimal alt local admin account, and then mounting everything. Then I log out and into my main user. I could automate it more but it's not worth the trouble for something I do a handful of times a year.

I vaguely recall playing around with mounting/check status scripting a while back that could launch and then show a dialog or info at the login window itself, so you could know for sure when things were mounted. I think somebody posted something like that in this forum actually though I don't remember where, or if Apple's provided hooks still work in the latest versions of macOS.
leeb

Return to General Help