Failure to load 1.8.1 kext under High Sierra

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Failure to load 1.8.1 kext under High Sierra

Postby Sharko » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:10 pm

I downloaded the dmg for the new 1.8.1 release, and tried doing an install of the High Sierra version into a freshly created 10.13.6 operating system on an APFS SSD. During the install process there was that point where the package installer said that I had approve the kext install in System Preferences > Security pane. I thought it was a little odd that there was NO button on the security preference pane to do the approval (I had gotten a similar prompt when installing Little Snitch, and when it took me to the security preference pane there was a button for approving the Little Snitch kext). Anyway, the ZFS 1.8.1 installer didn't stall out, but went on to completion, so I was hopeful that perhaps it might work... but it apparently didn't.

I did a reboot just to be sure everything was going to load. When I ran a sudo zpool import MyPool command, here is what I got:

Code: Select all
Failed to load ZFS module stack.
Load the module manually by running '/sbin/kextload /Library/Extensions/zfs.kext' as root.
The /dev/zfs device is missing and must be created.
Try running 'udevadm trigger' as root to create it.

I tried the first suggestion:
Code: Select all
sh-3.2# /sbin/kextload /Library/Extensions/zfs.kext
/Library/Extensions/zfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Any ideas on how I should go forward from here? Thanks for your help in advance.
Sharko

Re: Failure to load 1.8.1 kext under High Sierra

Postby lundman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 pm

You have to approve the kext in the Gatekeeper/Security thing. The button will not show up over remove connections (VNC) - Although there were rumours there was a way around that - and has to be done on local machine.

it also needs to be done for both kexts. If still no buttons shows up, you might have to reboot and run the installer again - try to convince osx to show that thing.
lundman

Postby Sharko » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 am

Hmm, interesting, thank you for responding. For clarity, I was not using a VNC solution (I was interacting directly with the OS through a display and bluetooth trackpad). I'll reboot and try again, this time with the security preference pane already visible on my other display (there was a short delay during the previous attempt while I located the security preference pane under a jumble of other windows). Do I have to disable System Integrity Protection or anything like that? Is there a timing aspect to this operation, as in the button stays visible for N seconds and then goes away?
Sharko

Postby lundman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:25 pm

You should not have to disable SIP, and I believe you still need to click Allow. You could always to try loading it by hand to see if it pops up:

"sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/{spl.kext,zfs.kext}

Then pop back into Preferences / Security & Privacy / General and see if it is there.
lundman

Postby Sharko » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Strangely enough, all I had to do was reboot, open the Security & Privacy preference pane, and there was the Allow button, ready to be pushed! So, I'm off and running. Thanks for your help, Joergen.
Sharko

Postby lundman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:15 pm

It is a bit alarming that it is so unreliable. But at least you have it working, until next macOS :)
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section