ZFS causing crash/reboot

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: ZFS causing crash/reboot

Postby RobRehnmark » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 pm

lundman wrote:Apologies my reply was terse, I was on phone :)

No worries whatsoever.
And for what it's worth, I do understand that it can be tiresome to help out noobs all the time. :roll:
Super grateful to the people developing OpenZFS on OS X!
RaidZ2 working well for storing my data, OS X Server share for Time Machine, FCPX, iTunes, Photos, etc. on my Hackinstosh.
RobRehnmark

Postby e8vww » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

RobRehnmark wrote:
lundman wrote:Apologies my reply was terse, I was on phone :)

No worries whatsoever.
And for what it's worth, I do understand that it can be tiresome to help out noobs all the time. :roll:

what was the outcome of your experience Rob? I notice my mac pro will reset when trying to copy data off a failing HFS drive. At least with HFS I can use USB no problems and when the drive hangs the mac will just drop it and it eventually comes back and I can skip to the next file/folder and eventually retrieve the data that way. Or sometimes I just get the os x -36 error (read error). I assume you had a mirror and so restored from the 1 working drive?
e8vww

Postby RobRehnmark » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 am

It's a Raidz2 made from six drives.
I'm in the process of replacing al the old drives but it seems problematic.
Scanning and resilvering is incredibly slow with intermittent slow downs to zero.
I'm thinking it's been a combination of bad drives and bad controllers. (the built in ones on the motherboard that is many years old)

My plan is to use this box as a FreeNAS server with a proper controller card.
I will build a new hackintosh and only have a small SSD mirror for local media storage like Pictures, iTunes, etc. while storing the rest and making backups to the FreeNAS.
I'd love to set up an SSD mirror on the new machine for booting but I'll wait until I feel like it's mature and stable enough.
RaidZ2 working well for storing my data, OS X Server share for Time Machine, FCPX, iTunes, Photos, etc. on my Hackinstosh.
RobRehnmark

Postby e8vww » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm

RobRehnmark wrote:It's a Raidz2 made from six drives.
I'm in the process of replacing al the old drives but it seems problematic.
Scanning and resilvering is incredibly slow with intermittent slow downs to zero.
I'm thinking it's been a combination of bad drives and bad controllers. (the built in ones on the motherboard that is many years old)

My plan is to use this box as a FreeNAS server with a proper controller card.
I will build a new hackintosh and only have a small SSD mirror for local media storage like Pictures, iTunes, etc. while storing the rest and making backups to the FreeNAS.
I'd love to set up an SSD mirror on the new machine for booting but I'll wait until I feel like it's mature and stable enough.

I forgot to ask how long you have been using zfs on osx. Were you using raid5 before? Would you ever go back to perhaps an HFS RAID1, if only because you knew there were more recovery tools? I'm planning to do only pairs of mirrored drives so I don't get too locked into a certain size of drive.
e8vww

Postby e8vww » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:06 am

RobRehnmark wrote:
jdwhite wrote:
Code: Select all
sudo sysctl -w kstat.zfs.darwin.tunable.zfs_recover=1

If successful it will return: kstat.zfs.darwin.tunable.zfs_recover: 0 -> 1

Thanks!

Hey how did this turn out for you? Were you able to resolve the resetting issue?
e8vww

Postby RobRehnmark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm

I've been using ZFS on OSX for several years.
I would never go back to a filesystem that does not repair itself.
My problems now have come from bad disks/controllers and the corruption of partition tables. (most likely the controllers)
I have not lost any data.

I didn't like having the disks and the network services running on my workstation so I installed FreeNAS on it and built a new Hackintosh workstation based on the HP Z800 motherboard.
The ZFS pool from OSX imported fine (as far as I know) on the FreeNAS but I destroyed it, wiped the beginning of the disks and created a new pool.

I would like to create a new RaidZ1 from SSD drives on the new workstation and make a zVol for local media, pictures, etc. so that will probably happen within a few months.
RobRehnmark

Previous

Return to General Help