Anyone using openzfs and tuntaposx and VirtualBox

Here you can discuss every aspect of OpenZFS on OS X. Note: not for support requests!

Anyone using openzfs and tuntaposx and VirtualBox

Postby chunlinyao » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 am

Is there anyone using openzfs and tuntaposx and virtualbox on macOS.

When I installed openzfs and tuntaposx, Install Virtualbox will report an error, but all file has installed, the error is because virtualbox can not load the kext. After reboot I can use virtualbox, but I can not access any samba share from mac host. Remove any of the 3 product and reboot will fix the problem.

If there's some openzfs user, would you like to try install tuntaposx and VirtualBox. I don't known if the problem only affect me.
Is it possible that kexts from these 2 product have some conflicts?
chunlinyao

Re: Anyone using openzfs and tuntaposx and VirtualBox

Postby lundman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

If you use "kextstat", you can see if all 3 modules are loaded, and if one is missing, you can try to load it yourself with kextload $path, and for more verbose information, kextutil $path

There could be a chance that we all define a symbol name, so it can not load due to multiple definitions.
lundman

Postby chunlinyao » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Confirmed with `sudo kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'`
With openzfs and tuntaposx loaded, I can not load any VirtualBox kexts.

Finally I keep the openzfs(spl.kext, zfs.kext) and tap.kext, removed tun.kext. And modified the virtualbox startup script to not load VBoxNetAdp.kext.
Every things works. I can run vm guests and access samba shares from my macos host.
chunlinyao

Postby chunlinyao » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:45 am

Some one mentioned there's free device slot limit in macos. It seems this is the cause. see the following links.
https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/issu ... -251965641
https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/issues/358
chunlinyao

Postby lundman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am

That is interesting. We should only be using 1 slot, if that is indeed the case. Perhaps there is a boot-args switch to increase the setting?
lundman

Return to General Discussions