Whats the future for ZFS on OS X?

Developer discussions.

Re: Whats the future for ZFS on OS X?

Postby macz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:43 am

we are approaching the 1 year mark since the last release of what.. 1.5.2 ... wow... it it really that feature complete and stable or have things just really slowed down and the devs moved on?

Whats next?

I am on 1.4.5 I think.. is 1.5.2 worth the step up.. how is hiding the trivials working out.. its it better or more of a pain in a mixed zfs enviroment

what I mean by that is I also have a omniso napp-it VM that uses a different flavor of zfs ... feature compatibility seems good with features I think they have one feature we dont support so it that feature is not enabled that should not be an issue...

any advice welcomed !!
macz

Postby lundman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:36 pm

SPL memory allocator in 1.5.4 was always meant to be temporary until we could do something more proper, which takes a long time. We are now testing the new SPL allocator, and added Boot support, and whole list of new features. It sure took longer than expected though. Also doesn't help that I bought land and built a house this year, hobbies take the first hit when you are busy :)
lundman

Postby stumble » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Congratulations on your house!
stumble

Postby Dismayed » Sat May 13, 2017 8:06 pm

zslg01 wrote:I think I need a re-think on this after Apple's recent announcements (late 2016). No Mac Pro upgrade, MacBook Pro with limited connectivity options, etc, etc ,etc.
I plan on moving to Linux Mint for my server needs since ZFS works perfectly well there and at least there seems to be a way forward for servers in that option.

Some small stirrings that there will be another Mac Pro.

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-mac ... 7/preview/
Dismayed

Postby RJVB » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

I saw that OpenZFS and ZoL are working on implementing TRIM support in ZFS. Is that going to be ported to O3X, and can we expect it to work with 3rd-party drives without hacking any kexts?
RJVB

Postby lundman » Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I brought over the first version of TRIM a couple of years ago and that worked well enough (except for the bugs they knew about). So I have no reason to think this iteration of the TRIM patch would not work.
lundman

Postby RJVB » Tue May 23, 2017 11:44 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought. Apple's filtering (and the corresponding hack) probably only apply to filesystems it handles itself, and/or that go through a specific API to send SATA commands to the drive.
RJVB

Postby RJVB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi,

About that future: are there any plans to provide an installer for other OS versions than only 10.13?
RJVB

Postby lundman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Of course there is, we want to even release a new version for HS, as we used that to test it. There were 3 fixes needed.
lundman

Postby RJVB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 am

There is - an installer (DMG with multiple versions)? When/where will it be (or is it) available? The download page only links to a post about a 10.13 installer and I don't see anything newer than the 1.6.1 dmg in the accessible parts of the download area.

we want to even release a new version for HS

I had to re-read that a few times. I think most francophones will read HS as `hors service`, out of order, not an abbreviation under which you'd like to think of an Apple OS :ugeek:
RJVB

Previous

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development