Finder window positions and view options not preserved

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Finder window positions and view options not preserved

Postby DrUbermann » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:26 pm

I've been using OpenZFS for a few months and it has been working very well for the most part. However, I did just notice one odd thing. The Finder window positions and view options (e.g. text size, visible columns) for some folders are not being preserved between logins. It seems that if folders had custom view options or window positions when I initially copied them over to the zfs filesystem from my old drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner) the custom settings were preserved. However, if I create a new folder or copy a folder from another (HFS) volume with custom settings, these settings are not preserved after I logout and the folders open in default view. Also, if I change any settings on the older folders that I initially copied over to the zfs file system, these will revert to the initial (custom) settings after I logout. I noticed that .DS_Store files are not being created or modified on my zfs filesystem in any folders. I observed this issue on OSX 10.9 and it has persisted after I recently upgraded to OSX 10.11. Is this a known issue or something I am doing incorrectly? Thanks.
DrUbermann

Re: Finder window positions and view options not preserved

Postby nodarkthings » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:47 am

I've got exactly the same thing on my 10.9 system!
.DS_Store files are not created in new folders, nor updated when attributes are changed.
I've tried deleting old ones but they are not recreated neither.
I'm running ZFS 1.5.2.
nodarkthings

Postby tangles » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 pm

what are the ownership/permissions of your pool and datasets?

have you got mimichfs on?

Here are the commands I keep handy in Notes.app whenever I create a new pool/dataset:

Code: Select all
ZFS/HFS commands

sudo diskutil partitiondisk /dev/disk(n) GPTFormat "Free Space" "Free Space" 100%

sudo zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -O checksum=skein -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O atime=off -O normalization=formD <poolname> mirror disk(n) disk(n+1)

sudo zfs set reservation=1m <poolname>

sudo zfs create <poolname>/<dataset>

sudo zfs set com.apple.mimic_hfs=on <dataset>

sudo chown -Rf <username>:staff /Volumes/<pool>

sudo chmod o-rwx /Volumes/<poolname>

If you're not sure what you've done in the past or how your created your pool, you can always run
Code: Select all
sudo pool history
tangles

Postby nodarkthings » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks for your answer!
I've always followed the guidelines in the wiki: https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Zpool#Creating_a_pool
With ashift=12 for HD partitions and ashift=13 on my SSD.
But I don't see anything there about checksum=skein or reservation, is there a benefit of using those properties for O3X? The rest is the same as you, except maybe that I don't use entire disks and my zfs pools are mixed with hfs partitions.

com.apple.mimic_hfs is set to on but it doesn't change anything.

As for ownership/permissions:
When a dataset is created it has System, Wheel, Everyone 755, I usually change it to <my_admin_account_name>, Staff, Everyone 777 but the .DS_Store files are never created in both cases.

Other invisible files such as .fseventsd, .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes or .VolumeIcon.icns are created normally, though.

To be on the safe side, I've just tried your creation command (with checksum=skein), created folders, copied files etc. Same thing: when I export/import, I lose every view options (still no .DS_Store files nowhere). :cry:
nodarkthings

Postby tangles » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi nodarkthings,

skein is just another checksum that apparently is faster.

from https://illumos.org/man/5/zpool-features
Skein is a high-performance secure hash algorithm that was
a finalist in the NIST SHA-3 competition. It provides a very high
security margin and high performance on 64-bit hardware (80% faster
than SHA-256). This implementation also utilizes the new salted
checksumming functionality in ZFS, which means that the checksum is
pre-seeded with a secret 256-bit random key (stored on the pool)
before being fed the data block to be checksummed. Thus the produced
checksums are unique to a given pool, preventing hash collision
attacks on systems with dedup.

As for the reservation, I apply this as a safety precaution.
from https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23823_01/ht ... gazvb.html
A ZFS reservation is an allocation of disk space from the pool that is guaranteed to be available to a dataset.

bad things happen if you fill up your pool!! :shock: so this commands always ensures there is some free space on the pool if something/someone fills up the dataset.

if you have mimic-hfs enabled, you can also play with Apple's ACLs and not just good ol POSIX permission.
I use ACLs via Apple's Server.app and all works well for me here, so have a play with ACLs via the command line. (you don't need Server.app but it makes it easier)

Cheers,
tangles

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:52 am

Thanks for the explanations! ;) I'll see what I can do.
(but I have just tried v1.6.1 (just in case) on a brand new OS 10.9.5 and still no sticky view options. I believe my computer is bewitched... :D
nodarkthings

Postby abc123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 am

tangles wrote:Hi nodarkthings,

skein is just another checksum that apparently is faster.

from https://illumos.org/man/5/zpool-features
Skein is a high-performance secure hash algorithm that was
a finalist in the NIST SHA-3 competition. It provides a very high
security margin and high performance on 64-bit hardware (80% faster
than SHA-256). This implementation also utilizes the new salted
checksumming functionality in ZFS, which means that the checksum is
pre-seeded with a secret 256-bit random key (stored on the pool)
before being fed the data block to be checksummed. Thus the produced
checksums are unique to a given pool, preventing hash collision
attacks on systems with dedup.

This states that skein is faster than SHA-256 but ZFS defaults to fletcher4 according to the man page. But the docs don't say if SHA-256 is faster or slower than fletcher 4. Do you know if this is documented anywhere?

Thanks

Russell
abc123

Postby haer22 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:27 pm

abc123 wrote:This states that skein is faster than SHA-256 but ZFS defaults to fletcher4 according to the man page. But the docs don't say if SHA-256 is faster or slower than fletcher 4. Do you know if this is documented anywhere?

SHA-256 is way slower than fletcher4. When I started using ZFS I played around with stuff and also SHA-256. Turned it on and then quickly realised that it was abad idea. Performance went down.

Nowadays I use edonr as my checksum. Faster than skein, edonr is the fastest checksum for ZFS. It is not as secure against attacks as skein et al, but my concern is bit-rot, not theoretical attacks.
haer22

Postby abc123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 pm

haer22 wrote:SHA-256 is way slower than fletcher4. When I started using ZFS I played around with stuff and also SHA-256. Turned it on and then quickly realised that it was abad idea. Performance went down.

Nowadays I use edonr as my checksum. Faster than skein, edonr is the fastest checksum for ZFS. It is not as secure against attacks as skein et al, but my concern is bit-rot, not theoretical attacks.

Thanks for the info. When I re-build my VM filesystems, I'll give edonr a go. I too am only concerned about bit-rot and performance.

Thanks

Russell
abc123

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:58 am

Out of curiosity: when you say "faster", is it in all uses or only in send/receive, for example, or specific actions?
I've noticed that when emptying the trash it could be very slow with default, would this be improved? — I don't think it has anything to do with checksum, but who knows...
nodarkthings

Next

Return to General Help