Share a ZFS dataset over the network for CCC backups?

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Share a ZFS dataset over the network for CCC backups?

Postby Sharko » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi, I've been fooling around, trying to get a ZFS dataset to work as a target destination for a Carbon Copy Cloner backup that will run on another computer. I created a ZFS dataset

zfs create tank/BACKUPS

Then I go into the System Preferences > Sharing. I turn on file sharing by checking the box in the list of sharing types. Then, in the screen accessed via the Options button, I turn on either SMB or AFS type of sharing (or both). When I click 'Done' it takes me back to the main pref pane for Sharing, and the status says that other users can access shared folders, and administrators all volumes, at "afp://10.0.1.32" or "smb://10.0.1.32". However... when I try and share a ZFS dataset like tank/BACKUPS by clicking on the '+' symbol, navigating to tank/BACKUPS, clicking on 'Add' as a folder it never shows up in the list of Shared Folders; the list just stays populated with the default Public folders of the users of this computer. Is there some trick needed or terminal command that will share what appears to OS X (El Capitan) to be an external drive? Or do I have to buy and install the OS X Server app?

I went to the other computer, and verified that, indeed, I can use Connect to Server, enter in admin credentials from the computer that is sharing its data, and get access to all volumes on the sharing computer... I was just hoping to avoid storing that kind of password information in the sending computer.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kurt
Sharko

Re: Share a ZFS dataset over the network for CCC backups?

Postby FadingIntoBlue » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:36 am

The first thing I'd suggest you check is that the property com.apple.mimic_hfs is set to on. That tricks OS X into seeing the filesystem as HFS and is useful if trying to use iTunes, Photos, or similar on it. I've also found that works when I am trying to share a ZFS filesystem using Server, so imagine it will work OK with the standard file sharing in OS X as well.
FadingIntoBlue

Postby tangles » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 pm

CCC can also setup/configure auto login certificates for you via SSH

take a look at Unison, it can also do what you want using a sync method which might be favourable.
tangles

Postby JasonBelec » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am

The problem is only on initial creation/mount.

Create the image on the system your on, once it starts copying files, stop it, copy the image over to the ZVOL and you should be good, at least I've repeated the process 27 times so far with success.

I prefer SuperDuper but it has the same darn issue.;)
JasonBelec

Postby haer22 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 am

tangles wrote:CCC can also setup/configure auto login certificates for you via SSH.

This is the way I do it with CCC and I am a very happy camper for 2 years now. I also changed the Cipher in ssh to use arcfour which is MUCH faster. On my LAN it is only me so security is not an issue (yeah, I know famous last words :oops: )
haer22

Return to Absolute Beginners Section