Spotlight indexes after every reboot

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Spotlight indexes after every reboot

Postby antikus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I'm running OpenZFS 1.5.2. I'm observing that Spotlight reindexes my drive after every reboot. Please let me know if this is the expected behavior. Thanks.

-- Anton
antikus

Re: Spotlight indexes after every reboot

Postby lundman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:16 pm

We do save the "last mounted time" in the dataset, just for spotlight's pleasure, but by the sounds of it, it isn't right for you. It has a fair bit of guess work, since there is no documentation on spotlight specifics though.

You could use mdutil to blow away the db and re-index, just to see if it helps.
lundman

Postby Sharko » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm

I've noticed that Spotlight insists on re-creating the index after every boot, too. Other than that, Spotlight seems to work: it finds files that I search for using Cmd-Spacebar. My system is an El Capitan 10.11.6, with OpenZFSonOSX 1.5.2. I'm running my non-admin user in a native ZFS dataset filesystem; I also have a ZFS volume formatted in HFS+, though I don't really use it (it was a for some testing, and I haven't deleted it yet). My vdev configuration is two ZFS mirrors of 2 disks each.

Are there others on the forum here who don't see this phenomena?

Kurt
Sharko

Postby macz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 am

I have the same issue under 10.11.5

Although this pool has been through hell.. Started in apples 10a286 code (not Google zfs) and has been drug up through multiple versions of open zfs OS X and it has had issues along the way since ACL and other settings were set through 10.6 server and normalization wasn't used back then. And it's an issue among other things now... And there is some nebulous issues with this pool that prevent it from upgrading past a certain version with open zfs OS X...

The pool is going to be destroyed soon as I reorganize a new backup on new 8tb drives so that. I have 2 backups before I destroy and rebuild
macz

Postby calbear88 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I notice that spotlight still seems to reindex my ZFS disk upon every reboot.

I see that after a reboot Apple's Spotlight (mds_stores process) is active in the disk tab of activity monitor, and when I use spotlight to search for a file on my ZFS volume, zero items are found until spotlight has completed reindexing around 1 hour later.

I'm running high sierra and version 1.6.2

Just wondering if there is anyone I can do to prevent spotlight from reindexing every reboot
calbear88

Postby lundman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Hmm maybe we somehow broke the "last mounted time" that spotlight uses. I will have to look into it. Perhaps a trouble ticket could be created for this issue.
lundman

Postby crayonshin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

calbear88 wrote:I notice that spotlight still seems to reindex my ZFS disk upon every reboot.

I see that after a reboot Apple's Spotlight (mds_stores process) is active in the disk tab of activity monitor, and when I use spotlight to search for a file on my ZFS volume, zero items are found until spotlight has completed reindexing around 1 hour later.

I'm running high sierra and version 1.6.2

Just wondering if there is anyone I can do to prevent spotlight from reindexing every reboot

I started a thread a few days ago for this very problem in the Hackintosh section because I wasn't sure if it was Hackintosh specific or also happens on real Macs. My Hackintosh is also running High Sierra and O3X 1.6.2 RC1. As long as I don't reboot, Spotlight indexes my ZFS volumes no problem and I can search them and find stuff. After a reboot though, it's gone. The Spotlight folders are still on the volumes but I can't find anything. I did look for the mds_stores process after reading your post and it is indeed active. It never seems to finish though so I force an re-index which works until the next reboot.
crayonshin

Postby crayonshin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

lundman wrote:Hmm maybe we somehow broke the "last mounted time" that spotlight uses. I will have to look into it. Perhaps a trouble ticket could be created for this issue.

Hi Lundman! I have created issue #613 for this on your GitHub page. I hope that's what you meant when you mentioned "trouble ticket". Please let me know if I can be of any help in troubleshooting this. Thank you!
crayonshin

Return to General Help