PSA encryption performance - 1.9.4 MUCH faster than 2.1.0

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: PSA encryption performance - 1.9.4 MUCH faster than 2.1.

Postby lundman » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:33 pm

Ah hmm - honestly, the biggest hassle with arm64 is there is (still) no way to run a (arm64) VM on (arm64) host, with snapshots. So the only
way to test new code is to load it on the machine I am doing development on - which sucks for new code, like asm.

Wonder if I can pick up a second M1 instead since the VM thing is taking forever.
lundman

Postby cgiard » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:10 pm

lundman wrote:Ah hmm - honestly, the biggest hassle with arm64 is there is (still) no way to run a (arm64) VM on (arm64) host, with snapshots. So the only
way to test new code is to load it on the machine I am doing development on - which sucks for new code, like asm.

Wonder if I can pick up a second M1 instead since the VM thing is taking forever.

While it would be cumbersome, if you store the VM on an apfs volume, you could make a clone of the VM (while it is shutdown), which will do copy-on-write for the disk image. Then you can operate on the copy to test, and when you want to revert, you just shutdown the VM, re-clone, and start it up.
cgiard

Postby incumbent » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:22 pm

We could pass a hat and get the man an Apple Silicon m-series mini or something?

I thought I saw a vendor selling desktop storage that used OpenZFS on macOS; if I can remember who it was or anyone else has a better memory than me, maybe they would be willing to donate hardware or something?

I've managed to get cash and hardware donations for OpenBSD over the years and I'd give it a try for @lundman.
incumbent

Postby eldestkettle » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:49 pm

incumbent wrote:We could pass a hat and get the man an Apple Silicon m-series mini or something? … @lundman.

created an account to say:

https://www.macstadium.com/opensource

MacStadium is offering free Macs for developers building open source projects for the Apple platform, including macOS, iOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

In addition to Intel-based minis, we have a fleet of M1 minis available for open source use. We want to help important community projects make the move to Apple silicon.
eldestkettle

Previous

Return to General Help