Import by Serial is Progressive

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Import by Serial is Progressive

Postby mkush » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:42 pm

I prefer to see the disks in my pools by serial number. Today, I made a new pool with 16 SSDs. After running my standard zpool create command, I exported the pool then imported it back like this:

Code: Select all
sudo zpool import -d /var/run/disk/by-serial tank

12 of the drives showed by serial but 4 did not (I can't remember how they showed). So I exported and imported again. Now, 2 of the 4 drives which were not originally listed by serial were, as well as all the original 12. Then I repeated the process and one more drive showed with serial. Then I repeated the process once more and they all showed with serial. Since then, every export/import cycle results in all serial numbers.

In summary, I had to export/import by serial FOUR times to get all the drives listed by serial, but now it seems permanent. Is this behavior expected?
mkush

Re: Import by Serial is Progressive

Postby nodarkthings » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:44 am

This is just an hypothesis, but could it be a matter of time to wait before ZFS does its things instead?
nodarkthings

Postby lundman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Is serial the one that comes from guid partition? or was that the by-id one...
lundman

Postby mkush » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:39 am

Was that question for me? If so, sorry, I don't understand it. All I can say is that serial is, in my experience, the actual serial number printed on the drive, with some additional text, usually identifying the manufacturer and model and sometimes size.
mkush

Return to General Help