hanging on 1.9.0

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: hanging on 1.9.0

Postby Sigmoid » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Okay updates... The scrub ran without finding any issues. Also, I left the system online for half a day and it didn't fall apart, even though under high data load via the scrub.

My next planned step is to tear down the pool, and destructively test each and every hard drive with badblocks from efs2progs.

However... I'd like some advice.
Can I do something to openzfsonosx, or MacOS itself, to force a verbose or debug level logging of every zfs-related occurrence into a place I'll find after a reboot? I mean I had everything fall apart with errors, and then the system hung, I rebooted, re-imported the pool, it imported without a hitch, everything copied there until the hang was fine, and there were "no errors". I really, really need a persistent and verbose error logging from now on, and have no idea how to enable it (or find it if it's enabled by default). dmesg on MacOS seems completely useless, and the Console app didn't yield anything either.

Specifically, if a pool goes "One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures", I want a hardcopy log of everything that led up to this state. Which drive, what kind of IO failure, etc. :P
Sigmoid

Re: hanging on 1.9.0

Postby Sigmoid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 am

Okay here's the thing. The disks are faultless, they all endured two rounds of badblocks on my Linux machine via eSATA. I have no idea about SMART status, because these drives seem to publish nothing via SMART beyond that they are working fine. The enclosure, at least via eSATA, is also faultless. I'm starting to wonder if it really was a power management issue in the end.
Sigmoid

Previous

Return to General Help