ZFS on OSX vs ZFS on Windows

Everything Windows related

ZFS on OSX vs ZFS on Windows

Postby gea » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 am

I have no real preference when in comes to ZFS on OSX or ZFS on Windows. I welcome both but why

- is the Windows thread in this forum only visible after Login
- is the header always OpenZFS on OSX instead OpenZFS on OSX and Windows
- is the announcement of OSX on Windows rc2: Announcing the release of zfs-macOS-2.2.3, it is fairly close to upstream OpenZFS-2.2.3
- Is the Windows Wiki under OSX, https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Windows

Not a real problem, just wondering if the Windows port is not as important as the OSX port.
gea

Re: ZFS on OSX vs ZFS on Windows

Postby jawbroken » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 am

I think the Windows forum only being visible when logged in is just a configuration mistake. All of these (except the minor copy-paste mistake in the release notes) are explained by the fact that the Windows port was started long after the macOS port, by the same person/people, so they just reused the website and forums they had already set up.
jawbroken

Postby lundman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

Yep. Also, back then ilovezfs did the project leader stuff for me, like setting up the forum etc.
Now it is just me, and I was lazy, so instead of installing a separate wiki and forum for
Windows port, I just threw them together.

One day I was going to do things properly, but there seems to always be
"real" things to do, like bugs, fixes, upstream merge and so on.
lundman

Postby gea » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Thanks!
One serious question

Is ZFS ready on OSX or Windows in 2024 for general use?.

With the first builds of ZFS on OSX or Windows I said no. But since last year, builds seem quite completely upstream OpenZFS. Only missing point is number of users to find and fix last integration issues. At some point you must say, ok, driver is release 2024.x and Open-ZFS is 2.2.x. and it is as save or unsave as OpenZFS on other platforms. Use it as it is, it is no longer a rc beta but ongoing normal software development.

When do you expect this state is reached?
gea

Postby jawbroken » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

I've been using it for personal use on macOS for many years now with no serious issues. There were some stability issues with the early ARM versions, as you would expect, but I haven't had any problems with data integrity, etc.
jawbroken

Postby Haravikk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm

gea wrote:Is ZFS ready on OSX or Windows in 2024 for general use?

I've been using v2.1.0 on macOS for years on several personal machines without any issues, but I've been completely unable to upgrade to a newer version of ZFS due to extreme performance issues rendering any version after v2.1.0 unusable on macOS.

Until that issue is fixed I cannot recommend using any of the newer versions, and really it needs to be fixed as a top priority because there's just no point releasing new versions when they're only usable for the simplest possible setups (a single zvol pool seems to work fine, but anything more complicated, especially with datasets, just cripples performance).
Haravikk

Return to Windows