How to safely remove disk from zpool and recover data?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

How to safely remove disk from zpool and recover data?

Postby newtofilemgmt » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to OpenZFS and couldn't find the documentation to this.
I have a drive with 10gb of data that I added to a zpool. I deleted the zpool using zpool destroy, and afterwards was unable to mount the original drive back with Disk Utility.
I was getting error Could not mount “disk1”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error -119930868).

I was able to use Disk Utility to recover the drive without losing data. For future reference, how do I avoid getting into this scenario? Or is this expected behavior?
Is zpool destroy the correct way to remove a pool without affecting data on my underlying drives?
newtofilemgmt

Re: How to safely remove disk from zpool and recover data?

Postby jawbroken » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:02 am

I'm confused as to what you actually did here. Was the 10 GB of data stored in the zpool or did you create a zpool on a drive that already had 10 GB data on it (on a different slice, perhaps)?
jawbroken

Re: How to safely remove disk from zpool and recover data?

Postby newtofilemgmt » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:18 pm

The second option. Created a zpool on a disk that already had 10gb of data. Decided to remove it from the pool (destroyed the pool). Went to try to mount the disk (original partition/slice with the 10gb of data) to access the already existing data and was unable to do so until I used First Aid Recovery in Disk Utility.
newtofilemgmt

Return to General Help