2.2.2 installer on HS has expired cert, cannot unload kext

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

2.2.2 installer on HS has expired cert, cannot unload kext

Postby Bingo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 am

I just updated from 2.1.6 to 2.2.2 on my High Sierra machine.

First thing I noticed is being warned that the installer's certificate was expired — but I was allowed to continue. So not a biggie, but the certificate used in the 2.1.6 installer still isn't expired if I install today*.

Second thing was that the installer failed without any further info. Having been warned about the certificate previously, and looking in Console that was being flooded with trustd/kextd messages, I initially assumed it was a certificate issue, but then trying to re-install 2.1.6 failed as well, even after running the uninstall-make-run.sh script in the 2.2.2 DMG. After two tries and monitoring Console while the installer ran, I noticed an error about the OS not being able to unload a zfs kext, as there were 3 "instances" or something to that effect.

Light bulb, I concluded the installer had failed to unload the kext initially, and yet continued to try to install on top of it. I re-ran the uninstall script, rebooted, and the installer now succeeded.

Just an FYI :) Thanks for the new version.

* Sidenote: I'm convinced that this has to do with older root certificates having expired in KeyChain, and I've previously had a bunch of gripes getting Yosemite to run various software due to certificate issues, so if anyone has any info on projects/howtos that help deal with certificates on older macOSes, I'd love to hear about it :)

EDIT: It is also completely broken out-of-the-box once installed, as reported here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3457
Bingo

Return to General Help