How to check which version is installed

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

How to check which version is installed

Postby e8wwv » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:34 pm

I tried the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2375

but they no longer seem to work with the latest version 2.1.6 on Intel.

How do I check to confirm the install has worked correctly, and check which version is running?
e8wwv

Re: How to check which version is installed

Postby Sharko » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:20 am

That other page looks very complicated. Maybe when it works it gives a more complete answer, but here is how I verify the ZFS version on my systems.

Click on the Apple symbol in the upper left of the menu bar. You'll see the first entry reads "About this Mac." Hold down the option key, and the first entry will change to "System Information." Click on System Information while still holding down the option key. This will open a System Information window with three panes: a category pane running vertically on the left side, a list pane on the upper right, and a detail pane on the lower right.

On the left side category pane you will see it broken down into major sections: hardware, network, and software. Under software, click on the Extensions entry. Nothing will happen at first, though you will see a little spinning matchstick activity symbol in the lower right corner. After a minute or so the upper right list will populate with entries for all the kexts in the system, listed alphabetically. Scroll down to the end of that list, where you will see an entry for zfs. You should be able to see the version right there in the line entry, but if you want more detail click on the zfs entry. This will populate the detail pane below the list pane with information such as developer, location, signing status, and so on.
Sharko

Re: How to check which version is installed

Postby sper23 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:28 pm

Open Terminal.app, and run 'zfs -V'

That will show you which version of the userland zfs you have, in addition to the kernel module version.
sper23

Return to General Help