Spotlight not working (2.1.6, 13.3.1, M1)

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Spotlight not working (2.1.6, 13.3.1, M1)

Postby stefanwascoding » Mon May 15, 2023 9:48 am

I'm having issues with Spotlight on zfs, on an external NVMe. The simplest test case (regarding pool setup) does not work.

The pool was created using the recommendation from the wiki:
Code: Select all
sudo zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD test_spotlight disk6

Afterwards I did
sudo chown $USER /Volumes/test_spotlight
, copied a few files on the disk, and waited for a bit.

When doing
mdls somefile.png
I get no output, and an exit code of 1.
mdfind -onlyin /Volumes/test_spotlight image
returns no results

mdutil -s /Volumes/test_spotlight
shows Indexing is enabled;
mdimport somefile.png
returns with exit code 0, so seems fine.

I've already tried rebooting, turning the index off & back on again, erasing it ... nothing seems to have helped.

Any idea what I can still try? Or some howto on getting Spotlight working?

zfs-macOS-2.1.6-1
zfs-kmod-2.1.6-1

macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

14" MBP with M1 Pro
stefanwascoding

Re: Spotlight not working (2.1.6, 13.3.1, M1)

Postby incumbent » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:03 am

my creative workstation has a couple of pools mounted and many datasets. Finder routinely is wrong about many things all over the place including metadata, usage, and spotlight indexes. i think i'm hitting a `^.*max`` value in `sysctl` or something because it affects some of my software adversely and it's tools that expect macOS metadata to be functional that have the most problems.

for example: oftentimes Gemini can't detect duplicates in directories on APFS or zfs or zfs-but-saying-its-hfsplus/apfs volumes half the time and I have no idea what the real root cause is but it "feels like" back when my sparc would run out of file descriptors. my znapzend jobs haven't worked right for about a week, i get i/o errors. rebooting the workstation resolves it until the machine hits whatever thresthold there is. fdupes and PhotoSweeper actually read the files and find dupes.
incumbent

Return to General Help