Extreme Performance Issues with v2.1.6 (and v2.2.3)

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Extreme Performance Issues with v2.1.6 (and v2.2.3)

Postby Haravikk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 am

jawbroken wrote:The person who opened this issue, that you already commented on, seems to have eventually tracked it down to their enclosure. So I should probably also say that my ZFS drives are in a few of these Thunderbolt enclosures.

The enclosures I'm using are the four disk versions of yours; I should have said, I have two, with the disks split between them (I basically have three mirrored pairs, so I've split the disks between the two enclosures) so I'm protected against enclosure related issues (controller failure, power loss, cable disconnected etc.).

The enclosure being the problem was a bit of a strange end to that issue though, since they seemed to be getting different results with and without encryption; I can't think of any reason why that would make a difference if the enclosure were the problem, unless it was part of a new setup (copied their data across to a new encrypted dataset in the slower enclosure), i.e- their unencrypted test was a different enclosure, and they hadn't eliminated that difference already?

So while I did initially think the issues might be related I'm sceptical whether it's the same cause; they noticed no improvement when bypassing cache, whereas disabling ARC (primarycache=none, secondarycache=none) makes a huge and immediate difference whenever I test a version from 2.1.6 onwards, and others reporting the same problem have seen the same improvement.

And like I say, 2.1.0 works just fine, so the issue is definitely related to something that changed in ZFS.
Haravikk

Postby Haravikk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:57 am

Lundman, if you haven't got any time to look further into this, would it be possible to instead get a build of v2.1.0 for macOS versions after Big Sur (Montery, Ventura and Sonoma)?

Sonoma is likely be the last version of macOS that will be officially supported for Intel Macs anyway, and I'd really like to upgrade macOS but the fact that I can't do so without upgrading ZFS at the same time is a roadblock for me due to these performance issues. If I could at least upgrade macOS while keeping ZFS the same, I could then try newer ZFS versions on the newer OS without having to rollback the OS if it still doesn't work right.

Either that, or can anyone confirm whether I need a Sonoma specific build of ZFS, or will the Big Sur version of v2.1.0 work? Is there actually any difference between them?
Haravikk

Postby jawbroken » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 am

I can't speak for that specific combination, but in general the releases are compatible with newer (but not older) operating systems, so you probably won't need a Sonoma specific build.. I haven't had any issues updating macOS to new major versions without upgrading OpenZFS at the same time, for example.
jawbroken

Previous

Return to General Help