2.1.0 installer broke all my KEXTs

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

2.1.0 installer broke all my KEXTs

Postby sper23 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:47 am

Hi,
I've been happily using OpenZFS on OSX for many years without incident. Recently I noticed that my weekly scrub was turning into a resilver and then terminating early despite showing no errors-- but I can save that for another thread. As a result I decided that it might be worth trying to upgrading OpenZFS from 1.8.1 to 2.1.0. This is High Sierra on an Intel system.

The 2.1.0 installer ran normally, but then when it tried to load the KEXT I received a popup dialog indicating that the extension had been blocked and needed to be allowed in System Preferences-- ok, fine. But there were two interesting complications: 1. I received a separate popup for EVERY KEXT on my system, not just ZFS; and 2. There is no option to "Allow" in System Preferences.

When attempting to load the KEXTs manually from the command line with kextutil, I see:
Code: Select all
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/zfs.kext) to secure location

I am aware that this error can be caused by incorrect permissions and extended attributes on certain directories (e.g. KernelExtensionsManagement/Staging), but I have confirmed that is not the problem on my system.

I am now unable to load any KEXTs at all. Would greatly appreciate ideas.
sper23

Re: 2.1.0 installer broke all my KEXTs

Postby sper23 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:47 am

Replying to my own post here. Since I couldn’t find a better solution short of a total reinstall, I temporarily disabled SIP (csrutil enable ––without kext) to get the the kexts to load. Then re-enabled and all is well.
sper23

Return to General Help