a drive enclosure move ruined my day

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

a drive enclosure move ruined my day

Postby incumbent » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:23 pm

it isn't the drive enclosure's fault and i know that but that is what i'm scornfully glaring at right now.

today i moved some disks into a thunderbolt2 JBOD and didn't realize the dial on the damn thing was set to raid1 for some stupid reason.

and now my pool has been vaporized by whatever happens to drives when an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual thinks it should be doing whatever nonsense that dial makes it do. I feel like such an idiot. restoring from backups is going to take a while i think, but lesson learned? time will tell!

(i use Arq for backups and that pool went to a B2 bucket and a Wasabi bucket before i moved it which i heartily recommend if you're looking for backup software that lets you use whatever storage you want local/network/public cloud/etc)
incumbent

Re: a drive enclosure move ruined my day

Postby jawbroken » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:13 am

I'm not sure that it isn't the drive enclosure's fault, even though it seems to be documented. It seems aggressive at best to deliberately destroy formatted drives just because it thinks you've set the RAID mode differently (e.g. it means that any hardware failure in the RAID mode switch will destroy your data). It's a good reminder to try to avoid enclosures with hardware RAID, though.
jawbroken

Re: a drive enclosure move ruined my day

Postby incumbent » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:54 am

you know what? you're right, that is a stupid design and i'm going to tell OWC that it sucks that whacking a disk by accident is so easy to do.
incumbent

Return to General Help