2.0 on Big Sur... Usable?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

2.0 on Big Sur... Usable?

Postby mkush » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 pm

My main ZFS machine is a 2013 Mac Pro running Catalina and 1.9.4. I'm contemplating installing Big Sur on it for a few reasons and I'm really concerned about how ZFS will perform. To be clear: my ZFS usage is about as generic as it gets: I have a number of mirrored pairs that I use for backups. I mount them, copy stuff to them, and unmount them. Not even send/recv or anything else. The pairs are fairly large (12TB) HDDs connected by Thunderbolt.

My plan is to clean-install Big Sur and use the installer that Lundman posted on Dec 19. I understand about setting boot-args.

Does anyone think I'd run into any issues? I would not want to risk the integrity of my pools, even though they are backed up. Any strange stuff or inconveniences I should be aware of?

Thanks!
mkush

Re: 2.0 on Big Sur... Usable?

Postby zeph » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:43 am

No, it is not usable. Don't upgrade to Big Sur until there is a stable release of OpenXFS on OS X
...I do have a photographer which has her main machine not booting properly due to the unsigned package I tried to install her
(and to access the drives she has to rely on an old spare machine she has around)
zeph

Postby glessard » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 pm

I also have very simple ZFS usage, and I have had no real problems on Big Sur.
I'm on an iMac 2019 and have my mirrored pair of zfs drives in a Thunderbolt enclosure.
glessard

Postby zeph » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:35 am

UPDATE: u need to carefully go through these instructions... https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Install
...I managed today to get it working again, disabling csrutils and doing the nvram change mentioned
zeph

Postby mike0810 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:08 am

So for Big Sur, I run the Dec Release Candidate sind Dec. and had only one problem (its in the general help) but no answer from lundman yet.
You dont need to disable anything, just install the pkg. You get a notice to enter system preferences and allow the kexts. Do this for each kext while the installer still waits and after you allowed every kext, it finishes successfully. Then restart, thats it.

You dont need to disable csr with big sur 11.2.1 That was only an issue with 11.0.1 but was fixed in 11.1.0

So far it works for me, mirrored pool and raidz1 pool in daily use (Media files and VMs mainly)
mike0810

Return to General Help