whole disk pool recovery

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

whole disk pool recovery

Postby mhw » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:44 am

Hi there,

I've been a long-time user of ZFS on macOS and Linux. I've just managed to overwrite a single disk pool - I was playing with the macOS installer with the disk pool disk attached and didn't anticipate that the 'erase this mac' option would repartition all the attached disks! I don't think the disk contained anything that I don't have copies of elsewhere so I'm not too concerned, but I wondered if there was a hope of being able to reconstruct the pool (or some subset of it) given ZFS's resiliency. I'm more concerned about saving time reconstructing what the pool contained than anything else. Even listing the individual file systems and contents might help.

It appears the disk was repartitioned and a new HFS+ partition created: this is what `diskutil list` shows:

Code: Select all
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *4.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 1          4.0 TB     disk3s2

I believe (though not 100% sure) that I'd given the whole disk over to ZFS rather than a partition. I do have a copy of the `zpool.cache` file from when the disk was last mounted. Looking at the contents of that file I can see a device pathname of `/private/var/run/disk/by-id/media-167C4932-0B15-0C4F-9D91-6CFB0DDB8793`, but that device obviously doesn't exist any more. I'm wondering whether there's a way to force the disk to be re-labled as a ZFS pool with this UUID and without overwriting the other data structures that ZFS might create on the disk? Or any other suggestions how I might be able to proceed?

I'm running ZFS 1.9.2 on Catalina if that's relevant. I'm also happy to boot in to Ubuntu 20.04 if recovery might be easier from there.

Cheers,

-Mark.
mhw

Return to General Help