[SOLVED] 2.0.0-release: GUI applications hang

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

[SOLVED] 2.0.0-release: GUI applications hang

Postby poolparty » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:36 am

Update: solved by disabling iCloud Drive.

I’ve been trying out the 2.0.0 release candidate (the one posted on 2020-12-20) on Big Sur/Intel.

My setup is like this:

Code: Select all
$ df -h
Filesystem                     Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused      ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk1s5s1                128Gi   14Gi   27Gi    34%  567557 1346381923    0%   /
[…]
local/home/claudia            235Gi  104Gi  132Gi    45% 1900960  275782144    1%   /Users/claudia
[…]

I have a `rescue` user on `/Users/rescue`, which is on the root APFS partition. I usually log into the `rescue` user briefly after bootup, import the pool, then I log into the `claudia` user to do actual work.

Upgrading to Big Sur (and to the Ooo 2.0.0 release candidate) initially went fine, with very few hiccups along the way.
I uninstalled Ooo 1.9.3 before the OS upgrade, and installed 2.0.0 after it was done.
The kext loaded just fine after I set the `keepsyms=1` boot param as instructed, and after I allowed the team ID.
iCloud kept complaining but I ignored that for the moment.

However, after a few hours of use, I did successfully log into iCloud once, and that’s when things went south.
The `rescue` user still works properly. But every time I log into `claudia`, the following happens:

• macOS displays the usual interstitials asking to set up iCloud, Siri and so on. This is to be expected and has happened on every OS upgrade.
  • Any app that is launched or activated randomly either works or hangs with a beachball. It doesn’t seem to make a difference whether the app is started manually, as a startup item or reopened automatically from the previous session.
    Notably, Finder always hangs, Numbers always hangs, Terminal never hangs (Update: Terminal does hang sometimes), and other apps seem to cover the whole gamut in between.
  • A clean shutdown, or even just logout, is no longer possible. I have to reboot using the power button.
  • On the next attempt, changes to the filesystem made during the first attempt appear to have gone, and the filesystem looks like it’s back to the previous state. All interstitials appear again. License keys I’ve entered into apps during the first session are gone. The apps request that I license them again, and so on.
  • Back to step 1.

I do have backups. But as this may be a bug worth fixing: would anyone like to help investigate this before I downgrade?
Last edited by poolparty on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
poolparty

Spindump (was: 2.0.0-release: GUI applications hang)

Postby poolparty » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:03 am

I’ve been able to switch users while both Finder.app and Terminal.app were hanging (with a beachball), then managed to took a spindump. See attachment.
The user where the GUI hangs is claudia (uid 502). The user who took the spindump is rescue (uid 512).

The spindump confirms that both apps have been unresponsive for several minutes (see PIDs 11816 and 11930).
But I can’t really make much sense out of the stack traces.

Any clues on how to go on troubleshooting this?
Attachments
2021-01-16_1628_spindump.txt
Spindump taken from UID 512 while UID 502 hangs
(5.92 MiB) Downloaded 264 times
poolparty

Fixed (was: 2.0.0-release: GUI applications hang)

Postby poolparty » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Update: fixed. Disabling iCloud Drive did the job.
poolparty

Return to General Help