Auto-mount zfs on startup?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Auto-mount zfs on startup?

Postby thedarkhalf » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:52 pm

For some reason Zetawatch wont open at all on my 2012 Mac Mini w/Catalina. That used to automount my zfsraid1. Since that's not working anymore, I have to "sudo zpool import <drivename>" to mount the drives. Is there any way to automate this?

Thanks
thedarkhalf

Re: Auto-mount zfs on startup?

Postby jawbroken » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:47 pm

I don't use Zetawatch but I had to give /bin/bash "Full Disk Access" permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy before automount would work for me.
jawbroken

Postby thedarkhalf » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:18 am

jawbroken wrote:I don't use Zetawatch but I had to give /bin/bash "Full Disk Access" permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy before automount would work for me.

Sorry, I dont understand. Whar are you using to auto-mount then?
thedarkhalf

Postby jawbroken » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:36 pm

OpenZFS on OS X does this by default without any other software.
jawbroken

Postby thedarkhalf » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:33 am

jawbroken wrote:OpenZFS on OS X does this by default without any other software.

It's not for me tho. I added bin/bash to full disk access. Is there anything else I can do to get it to mount on start up?

Thanks
thedarkhalf

Postby foobart » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 am

I'm seeing the same issue with openzfs 2.0.0 on Catalina 10.15.7 (19H114).

A few more things I discovered:
- LaunchDaemons/org.openzfsonosx.zpool-import-all.plist is called on boot and reports nothing to import.
- When reloading LaunchDaemons/org.openzfsonosx.zpool-import-all.plist manually with launchctl thereafter still no imports reported.
- When calling (sudo root) the actual worker script /usr/local/zfs/libexec/zfs/launchd.d/zpool-import-all.sh the pool does import correctly

I'm expecting some permission issue has popped up after a most recent Catalina security update, but I'm not quite sure what privilege is needed. I have given most zfs tools and scripts already full disc access in system prefs.

On closer inspection, I did not give bash full disk access, picked the wrong shell to give access.
@jawbroken was correct, only bash needed this for it to work.
foobart

Postby gasmanc » Sun May 30, 2021 3:07 pm

So I'm also having problems auto-mounting after restarting MacOS.

I vaguely recall having the same issue when I upgraded to Catalina. What worked that time was allowing zsh (or bash) full disk access in settings. This seemed to fix it last time.

Not that I've upgraded to Big Sur, I've hit the same problem with my pool not being auto mounted on restart/start up.

I've made sure zsh/bash have full disk access, but its still not go this time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
gasmanc

Postby t3hite » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:48 pm

jawbroken wrote:I don't use Zetawatch but I had to give /bin/bash "Full Disk Access" permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy before automount would work for me.

After upgrading to Monterey (12.1) and installing OSX ZFS 1.2.0 I also had to visit System Preferences a couple times to authorize the extension (zfs.kext) and then to authorize zpool in the privacy tab. I'm just getting running in Monterey; so far my ZFS pool/volumes appear to be working normally.
t3hite

Return to General Help