Permissions issues with new pool 1.9.4 El Capitan

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Permissions issues with new pool 1.9.4 El Capitan

Postby robbrown99 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi, couple of problems:

1. I am having permissions problems with a new zpool I created.

When I try to write to the disk (e.g. copy to it or create folder), I get a message asking for finder permissions. I then enter admin password and I can complete the task.

I just created the pool today, and just installed 1.9.4 today (El Capitan version)

I am running El Capitan, OpenZFS v 1.9.4

What led me to this new pool being created was both of my disks failing in my previous pool. One went bad, it was trying to repair itself and the other flipped itself too. So now I am trying to backup from an HFS+ drive. Hope it works!

2. I just exported the pool, and reimported. Export was fine. Import failed:

Code: Select all
RobMacPro:~ robbrown$ sudo zpool export BigDiskZFS
Running process: '/usr/sbin/diskutil' 'unmount' '/Volumes/BigDiskZFS'
Volume BigDiskZFS on disk4s1 unmounted
RobMacPro:~ robbrown$ sudo zpool import BigDiskZFS
cannot import 'BigDiskZFS': no such pool available

So now I can't even get this thing to remount?

Should I be downgrading to earlier software and start over?
robbrown99

Re: Permissions issues with new pool 1.9.4 El Capitan

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:01 am

I am too running El Capitan, OpenZFS v 1.9.4 and I have no such issue, so downgrading shouldn't be needed.
The "no such pool available" makes me wonder: didn't you forget to change the partition type with gdisk?
https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Zpool
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/
nodarkthings

Postby robbrown99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:06 am

My steps to set this zpool up were:

1. Unpackage brand new seagate ironwolf drives. Insert into mac pro (internal bays)

2. Ran the recommended setup command per wiki: https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Zpool
Code: Select all
sudo zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD BigDiskZFS mirror disk1 disk2

3. Done

Per the instructions on the wiki, I did not partition the disks manually myself. So I assume I don't need to run gdisk.

Now, regarding my second problem: After failing to reimport my pool I shut down my computer overnight. Now when rebooted the pool BigDiskZFS mounted without me doing a thing. That's odd! I tried the export and reimport of the pool this morning and it worked just fine this time. VERY strange.

I looked at a gdisk tutorial here: http://rodsbooks.com/gdisk/ and it says this:
OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") and later users: This version of OS X adds a feature called System Integrity Protection (SIP), or less formally, "rootless." This system blocks access to certain critical aspects of the OS and hardware by third-party programs, including GPT fdisk. Thus, GPT fdisk's capabilities are limited under OS X 10.11 or later unless SIP is disabled. Specifically, low-level access to the system disk is forbidden, so you cannot repartition it. Access to USB flash drives remains possible, though. Disabling SIP is covered on several Web sites, including here and here. My rEFInd boot manager can disable SIP, as described here. Alternatively, you can run GPT fdisk from a Linux emergency disk.

I wonder whether this was the cause of my issues with my last zpool. I was originally on Yosemite, created my zpool on that, and then upgraded to El Capitan. Perhaps I have permissioning issues relating to SIP being enabled?

When i look at the OSX system level permissions for the pool, all looks fine. See attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.05.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 6.05.59 AM.png (47.15 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
robbrown99

Postby robbrown99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:14 am

OK, I omitted one piece of evidence, not sure if this is critical:

My last zpool was called BigDiskZFS, my new one is called BigDiskZFS

Not sure if naming pool same as old matters, but I wanted to make like easy on myself with a restore process from my HFS+ drive.

off topic, maybe related:
I still cant quite believe I lost BOTH drives in my last zpool. After one drive had an error, it was doing a resilver and each drive kept on getting kicked out. The resilver process for two 1.5TB drives was taking days and got to the point where it got stuck on 64%, wouldn't proceed and wouldn't mount either of the drives in the pool as both had errors.
robbrown99

Postby robbrown99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:57 am

Ok, I think I have the answer, which I only just noticed.

The clear problem here is that my user profile did not have a read/write permission. It says it in the screenshot. Only system had read-write access.

So I added my user and problem solved!

I guess when i set up the zpool I may have done sudo command and didn't grant access to my user.
robbrown99

Return to General Help