Unable to import pool

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Unable to import pool

Postby talios » Sun May 31, 2020 2:21 am

Persecutor wrote:Try the new enclosure. Remember the Slot-order! The next steps won't work on Catalina!!!

A question on this - since the new enclosure is actually TWO separate (2 2bays), I'm not entirely sure I can do that - at least, 1/2 and 3/4 - but the order of the separate enclosures I don't think I can control.

Assuming I _can_ get it mounted with them - for steps 1 and 2 I assume I should do that for all sub-pools as well (orico, orico/Music, orico/Photos).
talios

Postby Persecutor » Sun May 31, 2020 2:28 am

talios wrote:
Persecutor wrote:Try the new enclosure. Remember the Slot-order! The next steps won't work on Catalina!!!

A question on this - since the new enclosure is actually TWO separate (2 2bays), I'm not entirely sure I can do that - at least, 1/2 and 3/4 - but the order of the separate enclosures I don't think I can control.

Assuming I _can_ get it mounted with them - for steps 1 and 2 I assume I should do that for all sub-pools as well (orico, orico/Music, orico/Photos).

I think, it won't work. Try to get the old one working again. Detach the fan and clean everything if needed etc.
Don't worry the pool will be there, once you get the enclosure to working again.
Persecutor

Postby talios » Sun May 31, 2020 2:51 am

Persecutor wrote:I think, it won't work. Try to get the old one working again. Detach the fan and clean everything if needed etc.
Don't worry the pool will be there, once you get the enclosure to working again.

I think that'll be a job for tomorrow (almost 11pm here now and I'm starting to fall asleep - not sure dismantling hardware at the hour would be a good idea (been years since I've touched the internals of h/w as well, I stick with coding these days), there is a PC repair store up the road so might remove the drives and see if he can just fix the fan ( ammusingly he lists "data recovery" on signage but the moment I mentioned ZFS he looked confused as hell, I suspect he just does garden variety data-from-a-dead-laptop stuff ).

I think I owe you a beer or five by now - will update the thread as I progress.
talios

Postby Persecutor » Sun May 31, 2020 2:55 am

talios wrote:
Persecutor wrote:I think, it won't work. Try to get the old one working again. Detach the fan and clean everything if needed etc.

I think that'll be a job for tomorrow (almost 11pm here now and I'm starting to fall asleep - not sure dismantling hardware at the hour would be a good idea (been years since I've touched the internals of h/w as well, I stick with coding these days), there is a PC repair store up the road so might remove the drives and see if he can just fix the fan ( ammusingly he lists "data recovery" on signage but the moment I mentioned ZFS he looked confused as hell, I suspect he just does garden variety data-from-a-dead-laptop stuff ).

I think I owe you a beer or five by now - will update the thread as I progress.

Alright then, sleep well :D
Persecutor

Postby lundman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 pm

You should use "log stream" to watch the log, it is possible it was processing the unlinked-drain list, which would appear like it is doing nothing. Spindump would also tell you what it is doing.

Code: Select all
log stream --source --predicate 'sender == "zfs" OR sender == "spl"' --style compact

You should run clear, scrub, clear, scrub - ie, twice. And see how it ends up after.
lundman

Postby talios » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:26 pm

@lundman - thanks for the 'log stream' line!

Man.... _finally_ got the enclosure back from the PC repair guy around the corner ( new fan replaced and the enclosure seems to be working now ), only - now the import seems to stop with the "you've removed a drive - insufficient replicas" error:

amrk@Marks-MBP-3 ~> log stream --source --predicate 'sender == "zfs" OR sender == "spl"' --style compact
Filtering the log data using "sender == "zfs" OR sender == "spl""
Timestamp               Ty Process[PID:TID]
2020-06-08 01:33:45.482 Df kernel[0:1142] (spl) <-> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
2020-06-08 01:33:45.483 Df kernel[0:1142] (spl) <-> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
2020-06-08 01:33:45.483 Df kernel[0:1142] (spl) <-> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
2020-06-08 01:33:45.672 Df kernel[0:1142] (spl) <-> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
2020-06-08 01:33:46.086 Df kernel[0:1142] (spl) <.> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.
2020-06-08 01:34:10.046 Df kernel[0:144e] (spl) <
> SPL: Warning: Pool 'orico' has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended.

and:

amrk@Marks-MBP-3 ~> sudo zpool status -v
  pool: orico
 state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
   continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Sun May 31 23:49:13 2020
   107G scanned at 59.9M/s, 68.4G issued at 38.3M/s, 12.9T total
   0 resilvered, 0.52% done, 4 days 01:49:48 to go
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
   orico                                         UNAVAIL      1    73     1  insufficient replicas
     media-B4A7A707-023F-9D44-B31B-8BECDC1B1CAA  REMOVED      0     0     0
     media-B3892C7B-DF73-4041-99FF-44514FAA3807  ONLINE       0     0     0
     media-40E96DD8-6737-C44F-BB34-23BEE12505A7  ONLINE       0     0     0
     media-52003BB9-E6CE-9949-9A0A-16E077A709D3  ONLINE       0     0     2

errors: List of errors unavailable (insufficient privileges)

Seems it's immediadtely diving into the scrub I'd started last week - I see one of the sub-pools appear in the Finder - altho by that stage it's been suspended.
talios

Postby talios » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:39 pm

Reading thru the likes of https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/8234 - would mounting readonly=on be a useful - it won't fix any of the issues, but I might be able to get some data off?
talios

Postby talios » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 pm

...well that seemed to mount all the volumes - briefly. Then they all got flagged as removed - is it possible to mount and STOP the scrub from immediately resuming?
talios

Postby Persecutor » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:17 am

talios wrote:...well that seemed to mount all the volumes - briefly. Then they all got flagged as removed - is it possible to mount and STOP the scrub from immediately resuming?

That is a question for lundman.

After the failed mount, did you redo the steps from my first post?
If not do it. After that you should run export for all pools separately mounted or not. Doesn't matter what happens in the protocol. Restart
Persecutor

Postby talios » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:12 am

Ok... so reran Onyx and cleaned up caches and everything - rebooted - imported the pool (no -fF or anything) and.... all 3 pools came up.

Immediately ran export, which seemed to fail on the first sub pool it tried, "falling back on umount".

Looking at zpool status I see the pool is being resilvered - and then once again log stream mentioned the uncorrectable I/O failure :(
talios

PreviousNext

Return to General Help