TimeMachine sparbundles

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

TimeMachine sparbundles

Postby haer22 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:20 am

I have my a couple of pools on my TimeMachine server. It usually works fine, then suddenly something has screwed up and TimeMachine wants to start a new backup copy. I usually do a rollback to a working stage and it can carry on. Sometimes the error pops up again, sometimes not. I have not been able to see any pattern.

I also on the same server have a disk with HFS+, i.e. no ZFS anywhere. and it _never_ complains on those backups. Despite the fact that the server reboots suddenly every 1-3 weeks. So something connected with ZFS is the only indication.

Anyone else doing TimeMachine backups ont a server running zfs. That is a MacOS server. Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave made no difference.
haer22

Re: TimeMachine sparbundles

Postby Jimbo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:31 am

I have a mixture of pure HFS on spinning rust and HFS on ZVOL on spinning rust TimeMachine backups, including at least one sparse bundle on HFS formatted ZVOL. I’ve had this issue on all types as far back as I can remember, even before introducing a HFS formatted ZVOL.

It seems that TimeMachine just decides that there is something wrong with the backup and that it needs to start again. There could be a correlation that I’ve not noticed, but for me at least, it doesn’t seem to be related to sudden system restarts.

This doesn’t help you, but I’ve just accepted that at times... “backup go away and start again”. At least I still have the snapshots of the old backups while the new level 0 one is being taken.

James
Jimbo

Re: TimeMachine sparbundles

Postby haer22 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:19 am

Strange that fsck_hfs does not find any problem when TimeMachine does.

Anyway, thanks for the companionship in the misery :-)
haer22

Return to General Help