What Version for Sierra?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

What Version for Sierra?

Postby mstan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:01 am

I have been on v1.5.2 on El Cap for awhile now. I just updated firmware on my Mac Pro and will install Sierra and then High Sierra later. What OpenZFS version do I HAVE to have now for Sierra?
Mac Pro 4,1->5,1; single 2.66 cpu; 32GB ecc ram; Sonnet usb 3.1 PCIe card; Firmtek eSATA PCIe card; Radeon 5770
mstan

Re: What Version for Sierra?

Postby lundman » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:57 pm

You could try 1.8.0 - and let me know if it installs ok. Wait with running "zpool upgrade" in case you need to go back.
lundman

Postby mstan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am

I tried the latest version - 1.81 - on Yosemite and it hard crashed - as in black/gray screen with crash dump data - immediately on boot and complete halt. Had to restore from a clone. Was I supposed to uninstalll previous version (1.52)? Haven’t tried it on Sierra; too paranoid now until I fix it on Yosemite.

At any rate I would like to install a stable version for both Yosemite and Sierra and create a new pool because I have not been getting smooth or expected speed from ZFS. It is most noticeable when I do a back up from ZFS to an eSATA raid 0 set. Overall speed is about 4.4Gbs with regular bursts of fast then very slow periods. Backing up from any other non-ZFS source produces extremely smooth and much faster backup flows. I have a Mac Pro with 32GB of ram and 4 4TB HDDs on a ZFS mirrored pair internal pool. That should be plenty of physical resource right? So maybe something to do with ZFS caching setup? I don’t know.

I really like ZFS and have never lost any data but I would like better (smoother, faster) performance.
Mac Pro 4,1->5,1; single 2.66 cpu; 32GB ecc ram; Sonnet usb 3.1 PCIe card; Firmtek eSATA PCIe card; Radeon 5770
mstan

Postby lundman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Recovering from boot crashes is quite straight forward: https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Boot_loop

and it should work - i tried it myself, so I am surprised you are having issues. Can you check for panic log in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticLogs?

The performance is known, we are working on it - there is a small patch in the 1.8.1 thread for speeding up deletes.
lundman

Postby mstan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that procedure. It was a recent clean os install anyway so I just reimaged it from a clone. Logs are unfortunately gone. I am starting over so if it happens again I will do the recovery procedure and get the log.
mstan

Return to General Help