Issue with 'zfs send'; now unable to import pool

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Issue with 'zfs send'; now unable to import pool

Postby goingzfs_2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 pm

A quick preface- my main storage consists of a pair of drives in an external enclosure, connected via USB(3), using a JBOD configuration. Each drive is encrypted using CoreStorage. They are set up as a mirror at the pool level.

macOS version 10.13.6. Latest OpenZFS for macOS beta.

Recently, I've had an issue where zfs send would either drastically slow down for several minutes or just freeze entirely.

zfs send -I Pool/Stuff@snap121 Pool/Stuff@snap122 would completely hang after a few hundred MBs. No response to ctrl-C. zpool status or zpool export likewise hanging the console. A soft reboot would get stuck with a spinning icon. Only way out: hard reboot.

I decide to start a scrub, it proceeds as usual but freezes at 97.71% and does not progress any further. zpool iostat 1 shows no activity. Reboot. Try to import the pool: kernel panic. Reboot, repeat import: panic.

Reboot, try zpool import once again: long pause but with slow I/O activity. zpool status shows 1.5 gigs resilvered. I retry zfs send: it freezes like before.

After another restart, unlocking each drive via the FileVault pop-up now results in a short pause before the dialog vanishes after entering the password and clicking Unlock. It used to be instantaneous. I mention this because things are about to go from bad to worse:

I can no longer import the pool- "no pools available to import".

I have tried: zpool import -a, zpool import -d /dev/, zpool import -d /var/run/disk/by-id/

The output of diskutil coreStorage list shows that both drives are unlocked.

The output of zdb -l on either of the (logical) device handles outputs: "cannot use '/dev/diskX': character device required"

At this point, I'm unsure if the pool can be salvaged. Either way, it might be time to replace the drives.
goingzfs_2

Re: Issue with 'zfs send'; now unable to import pool

Postby lundman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm

One of the better tools to use during hangs is 'spindump' as you can see what each stack is doing, and sometimes, why it is stuck.

Can you see labels on the disks with zdb -l /dev/diskX ?
lundman

Return to General Help