Memory Leak?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Memory Leak?

Postby networkninja » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 am

Hi,

I've been playing with OpenZFS on my high sierra mac all weekend and I have had nothing but problems with 1.7.2. I create the raidz1 no problem, ashift=12, everything is fine. I set my arc_max limit to 12GB via sysctl file in /etc/zfs (I have 64GB of RAM). I am using 4 2TB drives in a raidz1.

I am trying to copy 4.5 TB from a 6 TB HFS mirror to the raidz1. Everything is fine for the first 100GB of the copy (about 5 minutes), and then I start having general problems with my Mac.

Opening new terminals just hangs for a while. I start seeing beachballs sporadically. I noticed the kernel process went from 4GB to 19GB before the issues start. At this point the ZFS pool will have abysmal performance.

A reboot fixes it all, temporarily.

Is this a known memory leak issue?

Thanks
networkninja

Re: Memory Leak?

Postby leeb » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:08 pm

networkninja wrote:with 1.7.2

The current beta version is 1.7.4 and runs on both 10.13 and 10.14. Unfortunately there has not been an official "stable" (I've had zero problems with either 1.7.3 or 1.7.4 in terms of beta vs 'stable') general release going to the main page, but there have been significant fixes including known memory leaks since 1.7.2 (all listed in the change log). Particularly if you're just starting out and experimenting and already on HS I'd strongly recommend just going right to 1.7.4 beta and bug reporting from there. The only real reason to keep using 1.7.2 is on systems running 10.12 or earlier if you don't feel like trying to compile from source yourself.
leeb

Postby networkninja » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Ok I will wait for 1.7.4 to be stable then, this is my main storage, so I don't really wanna beta test on it.

Thanks for all the hard work, I hope to be using it soon.
networkninja

Postby leeb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 am

networkninja wrote:Ok I will wait for 1.7.4 to be stable then, this is my main storage, so I don't really wanna beta test on it.

It's up to you of course, but FWIW ZFS "betas" aren't in the same category really as a lot of typical betas, the FS is heavily tested at this point and has a pretty significant range of automated testing procedures as well to help spot any regressions on the integrity side. I've been running ZFS as my main data storage on the Mac continuously for over 7 years now and have never had any data loss, even with far less mature and cutting edge implementations then we've got now. Given that 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 fix some significant usability issues like memory leaks, if a few weeks go by with no one reporting any significant new issues then it's worth considering an upgrade even if it's beta.

Obviously you should have backups of critical stuff regardless, though I appreciate the desire to avoid the downtime of a restore! Unfortunately it'll be a bit longer (at least for me) before the bandwidth catches back up to storage size and makes that more trivial again, though I'm excited that's suddenly getting close.
leeb

Postby lundman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 pm

If there is a memory leak, it'd be nice to know that before 1.8.0 though :)
lundman

Return to General Help