1.7.4 Upgrade successful

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

1.7.4 Upgrade successful

Postby leeb » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 am

Just in case anyone else is checking the forums looking for any reports, I upgraded a MP 5,1 running 10.13.6 from 1.7.3 to 1.7.4 with no issues (beyond existing ones like Dock not accepting ZFS FS or Mail spotlight randomly failing). I didn't upgrade spacemap_v2 on my pools however since it breaks FC and I couldn't see any compelling reason to do so until after I kicked the tires for a bit, just in case a revert was necessary. It'll take a few days of uptime at least to see if the longer term performance is improved but so far so good, thanks for the hard work on the release!
leeb

Re: 1.7.4 Upgrade successful

Postby calbear88 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm

I am thinking of upgrading my iMac to OS X Mojave. Should I install zfs 1.7.4 before or after I upgrade the operating system to Majove? Thanks for the advice.
calbear88

Re: 1.7.4 Upgrade successful

Postby leeb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 am

calbear88 wrote:I am thinking of upgrading my iMac to OS X Mojave. Should I install zfs 1.7.4 before or after I upgrade the operating system to Majove? Thanks for the advice.

May be best to do so, as it's a version specific compile of the kexts for Apple's latest SDK (per lundman in the other thread), but it may also just work fine regardless. Upgrades don't necessarily break compatibility. It will also probably make things a bit easier/cleaner if you export your pool and uninstall O3X (if you aren't doing a nuke and pave) before your Mojave upgrade too, otherwise I assume it'll appear as possibly active and you'll need to force the import. I always do clean upgrades so I don't know what recent macOS versions do with old incompatible kexts, I think I remember at one point they'd just get moved to a "disabled" folder, so it's mostly for convenience and to eliminate one extra variable, it shouldn't actually harm anything to do so in a different order if you want.
leeb

Return to General Help