Rsync --server writing to zfs folder quits?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Rsync --server writing to zfs folder quits?

Postby lundman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Hmm so maybe it isn't crashing after all? You could perhaps run rsync --server manually right? You could run it "lldb rsync ; run -- --server".

Failing that, perhaps finding a small test case for me to replicate this is the right answer. Are you able to pare the problem down? Is it a specific dir? specific file? I presume just rsync'ing /System to /ZFS will not trigger it? I do this a lot after all.
lundman

Postby tim.rohrer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Will do. I'm running another test from the client, and then will proceed to the lldb test and breaking down the rsync source further.

I'm also trying to look at the dtruss output closer, and to see if I can isolate some errors that we can look at closer. There has to be something different between the client that works, and the one that doesn't.
tim.rohrer

Postby tim.rohrer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

After a lot of testing, I finally identified issues that were impacting the synchronization. Two of them appear to be related to OpenZFS on OS X (O3X) and I want to share them here as a way of closing out this thread.

I researched support for ACLs before starting a migration to ZFS. Believing I had found suitable support, I continued. But, something related to rsync and ACLs doesn't appear to work correctly, at least when synchronizing from a non-ZFS filesystem to a ZFS filesystem.

In one of my attempts, I reset permissions in /Users, thus removing any remaining ACLs. However, that still didn't fix the problem. Then I turned off the rsync '-A' option (which seeks to preserve ACLs), and I was able to successfully complete a synchronization. Even though no ACLs were present, it appears to be the cause of of death for 'rsync --server'. have not confirmed this on an independent machine; maybe someone else can? I do know that I finally got it to complete. I'm now working on a second run.

The other issue that may be contributing relates to the performance of O3X. I'm going to start another thread covering that. EDIT: I found another thread involving write speeds that I will review first.
tim.rohrer

Previous

Return to General Help