Lower than expected performance

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Lower than expected performance

Postby 4ever6 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I've recently converted 8x6TB disks into 4 mirrored vdev's to play with ZFS (1.6.1). The performance is much less than expected, particularly with writes--like, 40-50MB/s. That's much less than the speed of a single disk, so something seems odd. No compression or dedup enabled, default 128k record size. I'm on an iMac using 2x Thunderbolt enclosures that were previously doing work w/ SoftRAID.

Before I just spray a fire hose of output - is there any particular command(s) that would be helpful?
4ever6

Re: Lower than expected performance

Postby Brendon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm guessing that that you have used the wrong ashift value for your disks. Should use ashift=12 for 4k block disks. Makes a big difference.

Brendon
Brendon

Postby 4ever6 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Brendon wrote:I'm guessing that that you have used the wrong ashift value for your disks. Should use ashift=12 for 4k block disks. Makes a big difference.

Brendon

I wish that were the case. ashift=12 in my pool, and all 8 drives are 4k physical.
4ever6

Postby haer22 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 am

Do you have a cache and/or log device? Can make a big difference
What is the load? writing big files? a lot of small? server?
What is the settings of sync and logbias? I played around with setting sync=disabled and it made a huge difference. Dangerous but was OK in my environment.
Are the disks in one chassi or several? Some chassis have a maximum throughput per chassi and that may hit you. If you have several chassis, put the mirrored disk on separat chassis.
How much memory does you host have? How much is available to zfs? check the output of "arcstat.pl 15". The two last figures show how much memory zfs has for itself.

I have 2 large pools (5*8TB raidz2, 7*4TB raidz2) working as a server. Access is only via network so the bottleneck is usually the network. zfs is not a speed daemon but it is safe :-)
haer22

Postby Brendon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Any progress?

-- Brendon
Brendon

Return to General Help