Recommended path to upgrade

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Recommended path to upgrade

Postby Marco » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 am

I would like to know which is the recommended path to upgrade to 1.6, if I am already running 1.5.2 on El Capitan. I haven't upgraded to Sierra yet.

This could be broken down into a few questions, that may be useful to many.

1) Should I first upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.6, and then from El Capitan to Sierra, or should I first upgrade from el Capitan to Sierra, and then from 1.5.2 to 1.6?

2) Is the installer enough to upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.6, or do I need to use the Command Line Interface?

3) If the answer is yes and I need to use the CLI, do I need to temporarily enable root access, as I did when I first installed OpenZFS on El capitan?

4) If the answer is yes and I need to enable root access, is this done on Sierra the same way it was done on El Capitan, or is the procedure different?

5) If the procedure is the same, perhaps some users would appreciate a link to it.

Thank you for your hard work and your kind support
Marco

Re: Recommended path to upgrade

Postby stumble » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 pm

We're not going to HAVE to upgrade to Sierra, are we? I hope not. The RC installer says it works on previous versions of MacOS. It doesn't, but I've been happily assuming that that's only because it was not the final installer.
stumble

Postby stumble » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 am

More specifically, the installer welcome screen says:

"System Requirements: Mac OSX operating system: Sierra (v10.12.3) down to Mountain Lion (v10.8.5)"

I hope that's true. :-)
stumble

Postby abc123 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:25 am

I think separate builds need to be done for the different OSes. Looks like on the Sierra has been done for RC.

To upgrade from El Capitan, I exported my pools, uninstalled zfs-1.5.2 (using the script in the 1.5.2 installer), upgraded to Sierra the installed 1.6.0-rc1 and it's been fine. I'd been holding off the Sierra upgrade until this bfs release.

I'm also hoping for El Capitan builds at some point as I've a Mac Pro which can't be upgraded so it's currently stuck on zfs-1.5.2.
abc123

Postby Marco » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:09 am

Thank you for you helpful suggestions.
Marco

Postby nodarkthings » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 am

I'm using 1.5.2 on Mavericks and would be disappointed if 1.6 was not made compatible...
Wait and see! ;)
nodarkthings

Postby Ikukuru » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 pm

I upgraded from 1.5.2 to 1.6.1 using the installer on El Capitan 10.11.6.

All went smoothly, except that I could not reimport my pool without a restart.
Ikukuru

Postby calbear88 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm

When I tried using the uninstall script for version 1.5.2, I get the error message below

"No pools should be imported
/usr/sbin/zpool does not exist.
You will need to export your pool(s) and unload zfs.kext manually before uninstalling."

I verified that all my pools were exported. I tried rebooting and exporting the pools again and running the script but it doesn't seem to help

I'm running 1.5.2 on Sierra 10.12.3

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
calbear88

Postby FadingIntoBlue » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I installed 1.6.1 by running the new installer straight over the top of 1.6 rc2; i.e. no uninstall required. I had to reboot because it didn't auto mount with the new install alone, but my main pool came up immediately on boot. My backup pool did not, but that seems to be a problem ever since I went to 1.6. A simple import from the terminal fixes that. I'll try and work out why its not auto mounting when I have the time.
If you find the uninstall not working, try installing over the top and rebooting. I've always seen the uninstaller as being useful when shifting from a source install to a dmg one, or vice versa. Never used it for an in place upgrade.
FadingIntoBlue

Postby nodarkthings » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

Ever since I use ZFS, here on 10.9.5 (I think it was v1.3), it never was straight forward upgrading, I don't know if anything is wrong with my computer (hackintosh... ;) ) or else.
I always followed every recommendation I could find:
- setting the language to English
- updating from Root user after exported my pools
But that doesn't seem to be enough, I always end up tinkering with the uninstall scripts and reinstall.
This time, here's what I've noticed:
- trying to update from Root but have the error message in the end
- I notice the kexts have disappeared from the computer
- I reboot
- I reinstall, it goes ok and the pools automount
- I'm happy :mrgreen:
There's always a solution, in the end and I'm particularly happy that OS 10.9 is still supported. :) Thanks to the team!
nodarkthings

Next

Return to General Help