Any best practices for the most production-ready build?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Any best practices for the most production-ready build?

Postby leeb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:54 pm

It's been a while now since the last installer release and it looks like a lot of interesting upgrades and bug fixes have been committed since then. With 10.12 getting it's second major patch set likely this month (given how beta 5 looks) it seems like it might be worth considering an upgrade to it now, but according to the compatibility thread it sounds like 1.5.2 works but is suboptimal and it makes sense to upgrade O3X alongside going to 10.12. So I was wondering if there are any specific tags or branches in the git source that would get one as close as possible to a full stable release somewhat suitable for production use (or at least more stability focused testing rather then pure experimentation)? Or should we just build from master, or wait for the next stable release or stable release beta? I know some projects have specific ongoing experimental/current/stable systems while in others everything goes to main until it's decided it's worth freezing off a branch for testing/release, there are lots of ways to handle it. I'm not sure what all the git tags are for, or if building from master if there are any configuration flags recommended to turn off certain unstable/experimental/debug features. The wiki understandably seems to suggest building from source more from a developmental point of view.

If just building from master per the wiki is all it takes that's great though. I just wanted to check if there was anything extra done for typical installer releases, or any default tunables the installer set we should consider (I think I recall seeing that right now it's suggested to set a hard limit on memory usage for systems with 32 GB+ RAM for example). Thanks as always for all the work on this project!
leeb

Re: Any best practices for the most production-ready build?

Postby JasonBelec » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:45 am

I've been using every release in production, in several locations, saved lots of client hind ends and nothing yet has not been recoverable. That said, YMMV.
JasonBelec

Return to General Help