Encrypted Mirrored USB Drives - Not Seen 3 Months Later YOS

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Encrypted Mirrored USB Drives - Not Seen 3 Months Later YOS

Postby Jimserac » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:46 am

Yosemite, using OpenZFS 1.5.2

After 3 months, I connected two encrypted mirrored USB drives that I had set up on August 30. (See my post on how I did that, Encrypted Mirrored Disks)
In August they were working fine.

Usually, as soon as I plug them in, it asks for the password. It did this time as well and I entered the password (it's the same for both drives).

At this point, what used to happen is that icons wold appear for both drives.
Then I would enter the sudo zpool import MyZpoolName command and the two disk icons
would vanish, and a single zpool icon representing the mirrored disks would appear.

This time, 3 months later, I don't know what changed but after entering the passwords for both disks, the icons for them did NOT appear !
Trying the import command did not work either. I'm pretty careful about doing the zpool export command when done
with the disks, so that's not the problem.

Without disconnecting the disks, I re-installed the latest O3X (I think it's 1.5.2) and as soon as the install finished, the single Icon
representing the two mirrored disks appeared ( !!! ). Am not sure what caused that but it is unsettling. After that all worked well,
I updated some folders with rsync and then exported the zpool and removed the disks.

Anyone else with this problem, or suggest a fix ?
Jimserac

Re: Encrypted Mirrored USB Drives - Not Seen 3 Months Later

Postby lundman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 pm

r entering the passwords for both disks, the icons for them did NOT appear

That sounds like a corestorage issue, perhaps you unlocked the drives? diskutil info disk generally gives status on corestorage.
lundman

Return to General Help