openzfs, hard link suppression

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

openzfs, hard link suppression

Postby simonpie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello,

I use rsync to do backup with the option
Code: Select all
--link-dest
in order to save place on a zfs dataset. Now, I am trying to delete old backups, but if I run something similar to
shutil.rmtree(directory)
or
rm -fr ./ directory
. It will work for a few directories, but if I run it a couple of time on a couple of directories, eventually the machine will not answer anymore and just reboot (for example in a find that deletes older directories). I had run those scripts multiple in the past when my backups where not on zfs without a hitch for years. Now, I have tried multiple time and yet, machine keeps rebooting.

So my question, is support for hardlink any good in openzfs on mac ? Has any one done this without any problem ?

Server is an el capitan 10.11.6

zfs version is :
> sysctl {spl,zfs}.kext_version
spl.kext_version: 1.5.0-15_ge755917
zfs.kext_version: 1.5.0-73_gc4fe048

Thank you
simonpie

Re: openzfs, hard link suppression

Postby lundman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Hardlinks should work fine, they are standard UNIX inventions. There was some pain with Finder integration but that is not what you are talking about. You should upgrade though and try again.
lundman

Re: openzfs, hard link suppression

Postby simonpie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:24 am

Hello,

Upgrade what openzfs ? Yes, I thought I was at the latest version, but apparently not.

As for hard link, yes I know they are fairly standard and they always work well for me. Just now when I try to delete large tree composed mainly of hardlinks do I get a problem.
simonpie

Return to General Help