El Capitan - new version of OZFS - no space, read only

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

El Capitan - new version of OZFS - no space, read only

Postby mistermaggi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:29 am

Hi there,

I have recently upgraded to ElCapitan and now after installing new OZFS and tried to import my backup pool to put a few new projects on that pool, it shows it has no space and I can't write on it. Also, zpool status tells me I should upgrade the pool.
So, first questions is, how do I get back my writing ability and the left storage space, and second question is, should I upgrade the pool, what's the up- and downsides and what's the projection on how long this will take, since this machine is in production at the moment and will need to get restarted now and then.

Here's general info I have collected via Terminal regarding the pool:

http://paste.fedoraproject.org/450855/48229147/

And here's more info regarding my machine:

MacPro (Late 2013)
OSX 10.11.5
OpenZFS 1.5.2
4 disks in zpool connected via an OWC thunderbay4 by thunderbolt

Thanks for a quick reply and general thought regarding the upgrade.

M
mistermaggi

Re: El Capitan - new version of OZFS - no space, read only

Postby xbytor » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Looked over your stuff. The only thing that seemed odd is that you have atime on. Unless you have a really good reason, you should have that turned off. Also, have you tried rolling back to a previous version of zfs?
Somebody else should be more helpful. I usually just remind people to check their cables when they get scrub errors.
xbytor

Postby mistermaggi » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:07 am

Hi there,

well, at the time I was creating that pool (it was still under basically the first publicly available MacZFS) basically the only thing which worked was creating a pool. And since then I never changed anything but upgrade to OZFS. But yes, I will disable atime, it seems to be not necessary.
Can't really roll back because of ElCapitan.
And yes, I'm always double checking cables, but so far I never had scrub problems, though I did it the last time two years ago. Don't use that pool too often. It's really an archive which should be an LTO-tape, but since I can't/don't want to afford and LTO, this is how I roll. :D

M
mistermaggi

Postby mistermaggi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:59 am

Don't want to be stupid about this, but this answer is actually the best solution so far, meaning, really, nobody else is reacting to my post? How can I ever trust OpenZFS on MacOSX again, if such a basic question is not answered?
mistermaggi

Postby RobRehnmark » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:00 am

I'm no expert but I would certainly just upgrade the pool.
(You have backup / original of the data, right?)

I remember when coming to OpenZFS from some other ZFS and I could only mount as read only.
Don't remember if it was solved by upgrade of the pool or if I had to destroy and rebuild the pool.
Super grateful to the people developing OpenZFS on OS X!
RaidZ2 working well for storing my data, OS X Server share for Time Machine, FCPX, iTunes, Photos, etc. on my Hackinstosh.
RobRehnmark

Postby lundman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Can you check /var/log/system.log for any messages regarding unlinked_drain? If you come from old version, your list might be very large.
lundman

Postby Brendon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Any feedback OP?
Brendon

Return to General Help