Slow pool import at start

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Slow pool import at start

Postby armdn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:21 am

Hello there.
After updating to 1.5.2v i faced strange issue. Pool is not imported after system startup at the end. Only command "zpool import -a" will help. But every time do that, is a little annoying. The system it self started (very fast startup) from PCIe SSD (Samsung SM951), the os is 10.9.5 (13F1911). The pool is two mirrored 3TB SAS HGST Drives and one 120GB SSD as Cache device on ATTO ESAS H608 HBA.

What to do to make auto import again??
armdn

Re: Slow pool import at start

Postby lundman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:28 pm

Auto import is part of the launchctl scripts, make sure they are working. One change we did, was to remove pools named by /dev/disk* - since everyone should import pools using "zpool import -d /var/run/disk/by-id/"
lundman

Postby armdn » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:30 am

Well, they works. This started to reproduce on my second mac too under OS X El Capitan - macbook pro with two disks inside. System placed on Intel DC S3700 and the pool is on Seagate Enterprise SATA SSD. Both on SATA-III. And (not always) pool not mounted at all after cold start. But if reboot everything is goes normally. Also, as i say earlier - "zpool import -a" command also will help, but it annoying to do that every time when pool is not imported automatically...
armdn

Postby Brendon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Are you sure that the import isn't simply taking a long time?

Brendon
Brendon

Postby armdn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:46 am

Brendon wrote:Are you sure that the import isn't simply taking a long time?

Brendon

Yes. I'm sure. After command import takes 1 second. At cold start it simply not imported. On previous version 1.4.5 and earlier, import works perfectly...

I suggest, or driver too fast, or system too long initializes HDDs/SSDs... Because after reboot import start to work normally.
armdn

Return to General Help