Slow Write Performance

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Slow Write Performance

Postby mstan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am

I have some good news.

I broke up the current external pool which had mixed 2and 3TBdrives and created a few test pools each with the same size disks. I also removed one disk that appeared to be problematic. Performance improved a bit but nothing dramatic - writes about 50MB avg. Then I rebooted into my Yosemite clone with O3X 1.31r and a dramatic improvement! I backed up a 12GB file in 1 minute vs 4.5 minutes for the same file on O3X 1.5.2. Looks like an issue with O3X.
Mac Pro 4,1->5,1; single 2.66 cpu; 32GB ecc ram; Sonnet usb 3.1 PCIe card; Firmtek eSATA PCIe card; Radeon 5770
mstan

Postby Brendon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:26 pm

mstan

Assuming you are capable of building the code (instructions on our wiki), you should try the latest code, and also the SPL branch "vmem_experiments" and report back. Despite its name, "vmem_experiments" will not eat your data or do anything else particularly nasty, it simply alters some details of the memory allocator we use - memory performance is the usual cause of performance issues.

Its always handy to have someone that is experiencing performance issues to experiment on! That way we might get a valid response to test!

- Brendon
Brendon

Postby mstan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:51 pm

I definitely noticed 1.5.2 using all my memory to the point the mouse would freeze. I'll see if I can try the latest source but I am not experienced doing that but if the instructions are good I can try.
Mac Pro 4,1->5,1; single 2.66 cpu; 32GB ecc ram; Sonnet usb 3.1 PCIe card; Firmtek eSATA PCIe card; Radeon 5770
mstan

Previous

Return to General Help