User profile issues with home folder on ZFS

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

User profile issues with home folder on ZFS

Postby Sigmoid » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:08 am

Hey,

I have this very weird recurring issue when having the user folder on ZFS. Once it happened after maybe a few weeks of use, now it seems to happen a reboot or two right after I move the user folder.

I've tried moving a well-used user folder, a freshly created user, a user I've logged into once... All of them resulted in issues, quite random ones but always having to do with the user profile.

When moving a user profile with mv after the first logon (and going through iCloud setup):

- Symptom no. 1: right after login, I am prompted to enter my "keychain password", or that some application requires my "login password", and I need to enter it to create a keychain. After entering my password, it seems to be accepted, but then...
- on to Symptom no. 2: the user profile is messed up. All my Dock settings, pretty much everything I set up previously in System Settings, is reset. I have question marks in the Dock for Pages, Numbers, Keynote (even though none of these are installed).

When moving a freshly created user with mv:

- I am not given the iCloud setup dialog upon login, but things seem to work okay, OR

- The system complains about not finding the keychain for the user's UUID, and
- Says it "needs to repair my Library to run applications", and I need to enter administrator credentials. Even if I enter them, this message doesn't go away.

When copying an established user folder with ditto:

- The icons for Documents, Downloads and similar disappear.
- After some use I got the keychain thing (see above), and the user settings and dock contents being wiped.
(- I'm not sure if I saved anything in Documents, but it's possible that Documents got wiped somehow, too.)
Sigmoid

Re: User profile issues with home folder on ZFS

Postby Brendon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

What version of the software are you running?

Cheers
Brendon
Brendon

Re: User profile issues with home folder on ZFS

Postby Sigmoid » Tue May 10, 2016 1:42 pm

OSX El Capitan (the problem has happened over a number of updates), and OpenZFSonOSX 1.4.5.

I wonder if the permission fixes in 1.5.2 should help with this. Generally the act of moving the user folder seems to be a rather unsupported operation in OSX, some search even yielded a few broken symlinks (absolute path to old location of user folder) in ~/Library and similar places.
Sigmoid

Return to General Help