Xcode playground on ZFS: file externally modified

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Xcode playground on ZFS: file externally modified

Postby mtrower » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:25 pm

When trying to save an Xcode playground on a ZFS filesystem, I receive the following error:

The document “ConditionalStatementsV5.playground” could not be saved. The file has been changed by another application.

It does not happen with a plain C file. It does not happen with a fresh, blank playground. The playgrounds I receive from my instructor (with markup, etc) trigger this every time. This is particularly aggravating with the default "Automatically Run" setting, as Xcode is constantly saving the file.

ls -l never shows an updated time, which makes the Xcode complaint seem a bit odd. It definitely doesn't happen on an HFS+ filesystem, ruling out a misbehaving program.

As a stab in the dark, perhaps it has something to do with file versioning? I'm not sure what Apple's implementation is, but when I close my plain C file it warns me that the filesystem does not support versioning. Seems flimsy, but I've no other ideas as to what could be going on.

OS X 10.11.2
Xcode 7.2.1
OpenZFS 1.4.5 (binary installer)

Any takers?

Update: setting the following
Code: Select all
defaults write -app 'xcode' ApplePersistence -bool no
defaults write -app 'xcode' AutosavingDelay -int 0

Yields a few different variations on that same message, saying the file has been externally modified. Curiously, some time after setting these properties, I experienced a several minute interval where I was not receiving the message, however it's back to doing it again now.
Attachments
FormattedStringsV5.playground.zip
Exhibit A
(220.16 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
mtrower

Return to General Help