Panic on new iMac when using zsysctl.conf

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Panic on new iMac when using zsysctl.conf

Postby cgiard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello. I just got a new iMac and tried to setup ZFS to only use half the memory for the 40% of the memory for the ARC. When I rebooted for the zsysctl.conf file to take effect the box kernel panicked. I tried using the same setting as my MBPr to see if the limit was too large for some counter and ran into the same problem. After looking into the bug reports it looks like https://github.com/openzfsonosx/spl/com ... 6b57c6b8ee fixes the problem, but the hasn't been released yet.

I looked into building ZFS locally but unfortunately I would have to either disable kext signing requirements or get a code signing cert (any chance anyone knows of a free / very inexpensive place to get one that the Mac will trust?).

I noticed that 1.5.0 has been tagged but not released yet. Since that version is more likely to have issues than the 1.4.x branch (since it is rebased on a newer version from upstream), is there any chance you could put out a 1.4.6 that just contains the patch above so ZFS will work on newer CPUs?

-Chris
cgiard

Re: Panic on new iMac when using zsysctl.conf

Postby ilovezfs » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm

1.5.0 is not a release, just a tag. And no HEAD is not likely to have more issues.

Try this:
150-1-1011-maclemon-2015-12-21-0.pkg
(5.31 MiB) Downloaded 508 times
ilovezfs

Re: Panic on new iMac when using zsysctl.conf

Postby cgiard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Thank you! That got me past the crashing, so now moving on to the pool import.
cgiard

Return to General Help