Finder integration problems

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Finder integration problems

Postby LATB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding a feature or possible bug in the integration with Finder.

I noticed that if I create zfs file systems that end with the same path elements, although the complete name is different, Finder gets very confused. If this is a "well known" thing and we're just not allowed to have filesystem paths with the same ending, that's ok. If however this is an unexpected behavior I'd like to file a bug report (will then provide more detailed information).

Example:

tank/A/B
tank/C/B

I also zfs set com.apple.browse=off in order to avoid possible clashes in the /Volumes directory (although, that really should not be necessary as Finder is happy to mount external disks with the same volume name -- but anyway, just to eliminate that possible confusion).

This will completely confuse the Finder, and has "unpredictable" results -- e.g. one of the volumes does not show up in the finder, copying to the visible volume returns error messages ("no space on device"), ditto trying to delete files "operations can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062)" etc etc.

Doing the same operations (ls, cp, rm etc) from the command line works without any problems.

Please let me know how to best follow up on this issue -- unless this is "expected behavior"!

Thanks and best regards, LatB
LATB

Re: Finder integration problems

Postby ilovezfs » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:02 pm

ilovezfs

Re: Finder integration problems

Postby LATB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm

I see, thanks for the pointer! So it does not look this is going to be fixed any time soon.

I'm wondering if in the mean time there could be a warning or error message when zfs tries to mount a second zfs file system with an already existing final name component?

The reason for suggesting a warning is that the behavior of Finder is really weird and unpredictable. This does not lead to a hard failure but just unpredictable and possibly damaging behavior, so openzfsonosx should really not allow to mount such a "duplicate" dataset in the Finder, e.g. when connecting an external disk that has a copy of a local zfs file syste etc.

Thanks for considering this, I really appreciate the work you put into making zfs available to us Mac users!
LATB

Return to General Help