How to inherit group-write permissions

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: How to inherit group-write permissions

Postby mkush » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Sorry to be dense... What exactly do I do with the 'xattracls' download? I'm presuming I run one of the 'elcap-' packages it contains (since I'm on 10.11). Which one, and what is it? An OpenZFS installer for a modified build like the previous (now dead) link?

Then I take you to be saying that you'd like me to install the build of OpenZFS 1.50 linked in the other thread and see how it goes?

I'm willing, I just want to be sure what you'd like me to do, specifically.

Thanks!
mkush

Postby ilovezfs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 am

Yep, elcap-xdacls-with-141e0ea-08a7ecc.pkg then the one in the other thread.
ilovezfs

Postby mkush » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:06 am

So far so bad. I installed (or rather attempted to) the 'elcap-' package. It told me to first export my pool so I did. The package proceeded to install, mostly. At the end it said that the installation had failed and that I should contact the manufacturer. I then rebooted the computer, planning to try again. When it came back up, the pool auto-mounted and heavy pounding began on the disks (audible). I tried to see the disk contents in Finder but could not because Finder tells me "you don't have permission to see its contents". I exported the pool, then retried the installation. This time it succeeded. The pool auto-mounted again (no reboot, it just happened) and the disk pounding again began. It is still going (well, it's only been 10 minutes) and I still cannot see the contents of the pool via Finder due to a supposed lack of permissions.

The truth is that I do not have to ever regain access to this pool (I have the data) although I would prefer to. But, I'm fairly short on time so don't have too much opportunity for experimenting. Anything quick and easy I should try at this point?
mkush

Postby mkush » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 am

Disk pounding stopped but still no access to the pool.
mkush

Postby mkush » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 am

Sorry for the rapid-fire posts. Looking in Terminal, the access to the pool was d---------+. So I ran:

sudo chmod -R 744 /Volumes/MyPool
sudo chown -R me:staff /Volumes/MyPool

At that point I had access but ACLs were still present, so I ran:

sudo chmod -R -N /Volumes/MyPool

Now everything is fine. I have full access to the pool, permissions are plain-Jane 744 with no ACLs, and I am currently copying the data to my FreeNAS over AFP, which was the goal.

Once the copy finishes I will install the other build and report back.
mkush

Postby mkush » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:13 am

The copy from the pool to my FreeNAS server over AFP finished just fine.

I exported the pool and installed 150-1-1011-maclemon-2015-12-21-0.pkg. The pool auto-imported upon successful installation.

My folders do not display any ACLs, only the 744 permissions that were set using the other build.

Does that tell you what you were looking for or should I do something else?
mkush

Postby mkush » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 am

Did you want me to try anything else?
mkush

Postby wforwaffles » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 am

Since I encountered issues similar to what MacLemon has described I decided to simply post in this thread instead of starting a new one:

My Setup:

OS X 10.11.4
Hackintosh
OS X Server 5
OpenZFS (150-1-1011-maclemon-2015-12-21-0)

No matter what I try I can't seem to get ACL inheritance working - I am already using the custom build mentioned in this thread, to no avail.

The permissions on my dataset are (set in Server.app):
Code: Select all
drwxr-xr-x@ 8 root  wheel  8 Apr  4 19:53 /Volumes/storage/projects
 0: user:admin allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,writesecurity,chown,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 1: group:workgroup allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit
 2: user:_spotlight allow list,search,file_inherit,directory_inherit

And on a folder created by a user that is in the 'workgroup':
Code: Select all
drwxr-xr-x  2 network_user  staff  2 Apr  4 19:53 /Volumes/storage/projects/test_folder

Any hints on what could be wrong here? I would really like to use OpenZFS, just can't seem to get past that hurdle!
wforwaffles

Previous

Return to General Help