Problem copying files to zfs share from Windows

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Problem copying files to zfs share from Windows

Postby ward1e » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:10 am

Hi,

Since upgrading to Yosemite I seem to be having an issue where I can't copy files to my shared ZFSPool over a network from Windows 8.1. I can access the files on the windows machine but the issue seems to be with actually writing/creating files.

Whenever I try to add a file I get the following message from windows "There is already a folder with the same name as the file name you specified. Specify a different name." I have tried this with several different files and I have checked that there are no existing files or folders with the same name.

I can however create/add new files to the zfspool using another mac on my network.

I thought that this might be Yosemite related so I tried creating a shared folder with the same permissions on a normal non zfs osx volume. This shared folder works correctly and there are no issues writing to it from my Windows 8.1 machine.

I have been setting the permissions to readwrite for my user name using GetInfo->Sharing and Permissions and applying the permissions recursively by Selecting "Apply to enclosed items".

Has anybody got any ideas as to what a possible root cause or fix might be?

I'm using 1.3.0 installed using the provided installer from the openzfsonosx.org website. And the most recent public version of Yosemite.

Thanks,

Ben
ward1e

Re: Problem copying files to zfs share from Windows

Postby sribe » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 pm

I actually came here to post about that...

I've just been through the same thing. I fiddled endlessly with permissions and ACLs, and was unable to get it to work. Trying to copy a file from Win7 to a Yosemite share over SMB would create the file, but not allow any contents to be written to it. I got a different error message, and 0-length files. Finally had to move the share onto the boot drive (it's a temp drop folder, so in this case it wasn't a terrible thing to have to do). Googling turned up one account of that symptom, but IIRC when sharing with Linux as a client, and the solution was changing parameters of the mount on the client side, which was not an option for me.

Googling also turns up all sorts of other problems with Windows accessing Mac-hosted SMB shares. It seems that Yosemite + SMB is buggy as hell, and that Yosemite + SMB + ZFS is unworkable.
sribe

Postby xbytor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:16 pm

I had similar symptoms awhile back with some particular version of OS X. I got around the problem by using Samba and using it instead of Apple's SMB. A couple of versions later Apple's problem went away and I switched back.
xbytor

Postby ward1e » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:56 pm

I tried to get Samba working on Yosemite but had a similar issue to using Apple's SMB implementation. Has anybody else here managed to get samba working properly with OS X Yosemite, ZFS, and Windows?

In the meantime I downgraded my server back to Mavericks until I have more confidence that the Yosemite/ZFS/Windows issues have been resolved.
ward1e

Postby xbytor » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:03 am

In the meantime I downgraded my server back to Mavericks until I have more confidence that the Yosemite/ZFS/Windows issues have been resolved.

I usually wait 3-6 months after a new rev of OS X is released. Plus, there is a new rev of O3X coming out soon, so I'll wait for that to settle down as well before that upgrade.
xbytor

Postby ward1e » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Bump

It has been a long time since the original post but has anybody managed to resolve the issues outlined in the this thread?

I was going to re-attempt to upgrade my OS X machine I'm using as a ZFS file server from Mavericks to Yosemite given that El Capitan is currently in Beta but I thought I best check here first before wasting a load of time upgrading the system only to find that I need to downgrade it again.

Thanks in advance
ward1e

Return to General Help