Software that doesn't support ZFS

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Software that doesn't support ZFS

Postby thePoet » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Has anyone had further thoughts on this issue? I may need to migrate back to Zevo for the time being to get the backups running, but if there is something I can test out in the meantime, I'm available to do so.
thePoet

Postby lundman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:37 pm

It's tricky. First the function FSGetVolumeParms was deprecated in 10.8, so not much motivation to go back and add support for it. Also not entirely sure GetVolParmsInfoBuffer information actually comes from, if even from a syscall. At the moment the only kernel calls a dtruss of FSMegaInfo reveals only calls getattrlist, and statfs64. Neither return anything related to DeviceID. Most likely it is a iokit registry string that is not set (since ZFS doesn't come from iokit - yet).

Once Issue #116 is working, and spotlight etc wakes up, I would guess this will also work.

Although if we can show the string vMDeviceID does come from iokit, we could find it and patch it manually as well. The only that appears to match is "BSD name" which is correctly set for ZFS as well.
lundman

Postby thePoet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:33 pm

It appears that vMDeviceID is related to kIOBSDNameKey in IOKit/IOMedia. I've found a number of references to working with it, but so far I haven't seen anything that verifies that property is where FSGetVolumeParms gets it's vMDeviceID value (or if they are just supposed to be the same by convention). I don't have an easy way to test it out unfortunately.

I'm probably telling you things you already know and my knowledge in this area is sparse (I haven't hacked on OS X drivers since Rhapsody), so let me know if this isn't helpful.
thePoet

Postby ilovezfs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:42 pm

thePoet wrote:It appears that vMDeviceID is related to kIOBSDNameKey in IOKit/IOMedia. I've found a number of references to working with it, but so far I haven't seen anything that verifies that property is where FSGetVolumeParms gets it's vMDeviceID value (or if they are just supposed to be the same by convention). I don't have an easy way to test it out unfortunately.

I'm probably telling you things you already know and my knowledge in this area is sparse (I haven't hacked on OS X drivers since Rhapsody), so let me know if this isn't helpful.

kIOBSDNameKey is just like "disk2."

As lundman said, FSGetVolumeParms is deprecated, so doubt we'll be working on this.
ilovezfs

Postby thePoet » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm

kIOBSDNameKey is just like "disk2."

That fits the data being displayed for HFS, etc for FSGetVolumeParms.

As lundman said, FSGetVolumeParms is deprecated, so doubt we'll be working on this.

If the fix requires something specific to FSGetVolumeParms, then the issue certainly should be ignored. However, I didn't see any references to settings kIOBSDNameKey in the code. When IOKit is supported and this parameter is being set, it will be interesting to see if this doesn't effect FSGetVolumeParms as well.

As a humorous side note, I noticed that Handbrake has code in it to work around vMDeviceID being NULL for ZFS... the Leopard test versions.

https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/blob/master/macosx/HBDVDDetector.m

So, not a new issue.
thePoet

Postby lundman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:51 pm

In theory thought, once Issue #116 is done, and we mount via the fake IOKit disks, all that should start working. Should :)
lundman

Postby thePoet » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Sounds great. In the meantime I'm going to revert back to the old setup so that backups will run on that system again, but I'll subscribe to 116 so I can test it out as it progresses, or if you ever have something you'd like me to build out and test I'd be happy to do that too.

Thanks for all the work you all are doing. This is a great project.
thePoet

Postby CoreCode » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:44 am

hello,

just wanted to let you know that our product SMARTReporter also doesn't work on OpenZFS because FSGetVolumeParms() returns NULL for the vMDeviceID.

bye
CoreCode

Postby ilovezfs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:46 am

CoreCode wrote:hello,

just wanted to let you know that our product SMARTReporter also doesn't work on OpenZFS because FSGetVolumeParms() returns NULL for the vMDeviceID.

bye

As lundman said, this function has been deprecated, so you should file a bug report with the vendor of SMARTReporter.
ilovezfs

Postby orckland » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm

lundman wrote:There is some difference between / (HFS+) and /BOOM (zfs)
Code: Select all
    volumeName     = 'Mavericks ESXi HD'

Sorry for going OT, but it appears you have 10.9 running on ESXi. Would you be willing to do a post on this in the hackintosh thread?
orckland

PreviousNext

Return to General Help